- Volume 16 Issue 2
The purpose of this study was to test that motor skill training enhance motor function and cerebellar development. Using an animal model of fetal alcohol syndrome-which equates peak blood alcohol concentrations across developmental period-critifical periods for the effect of alcohol on body and cerebellar weigh was examined. The effect of motor skill training on motor function and cerebellar development of rat exposed alcohol on postnatal days 4 through 10 were studied. Newborn rats were assigned to one of two groups: (1) Control group (CG), via artificial rearing to milk formula and (2) experimental groups (EG), via 4.5g/kg/day of ethanol in a milk solution. After completion of the treatments, the pups were fostered back to lactating dams, and wearing they were raised in standard caged until they were postnatal 48 days. Rats from experimental group of postnatal treatment then spent 10 days in one of two groups: Experimental group II (EGII) was had got motor skill training (training traverse a set of 6 elevated obstacles) for 4 weeks. Experimental group I (EGI) was not trained. Before sacrificing, the rat got examined two behavioral test, body weigh and cerebellar weigh, then coronal sections were processed. The section was investigated the Purkije cell in the cerebellum using light microscope. The results of this study were as follows. 1. In body weight test, the outcome of alcohol groups were significantly lower than the normal group. 2. In cerebellar weight test, the outcome of EGI were significantly lower than CG and EGII. 3. In motor behavioral test, the outcome of EGI was significantly lower than NG and EGII. 4. In Purkinje cells counting test, the outcome of EGI was significantly lower than the NG and EGII. These result suggest that improved motor function induced by motor skill training after postnatal exposure is associated with dynamically altered expression of Purkinje cells and that is related with cerebellar function. Also, these data can potentially serve as a model for therapeutic intervention.
Supported by : 영산대학교
- 권도윤. 흰쥐 소뇌에서 cDNA microarray를 이용한 운동학습관련 유전자 발굴. 고려대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2001.
- 김성민. 출생후 흰쥐 소뇌 발달단계에 따라 발현의 변화를 보이는 새로운 유전자(PKrCbl)의 발굴 및 발현양상 규명, 고려대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 1998.
- 김성주. 공간기억학습이 흰쥐 해마의 신경연접소포 단백질 유전자 변화에 미치는 영향 연구. 고려대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2002.
- 송주민. 외상성 소뇌 손상 흰쥐에서 환경강화가 운동기능과 BDNF 발현에 미치는 영향. 대구대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2003.
- 이계주. 운동학습 후 소뇌 평행섬유와 조롱박세포 가시돌기 신경연접의 선택적 가소성. 고려대학교 의과학대학원, 석사학위논문, 2002.
- Altman J. Postnatal development of the cerebellar cortex in the rat. II. Phases in the maturation of Purkinje cells and of the molecular layer. J Comp Neurol. 1972;145(14):399-463. https://doi.org/10.1002/cne.901450402
- Anderson BJ. Alcantara AA, Greenough WT. Motor-skill learning: changes in synaptic organization of the rat cerebellar cortex. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 1996;66(2):221-229. https://doi.org/10.1006/nlme.1996.0062
- Archibald SL. Fennema-Notestine C, Gamst A. et al. Brain dysmorphology in individuals with severe prenatal alcohol exposure. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2001;43(3): 148-154. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2001.tb00179.x
- Bonthius DJ. West JR. Alcohol-induced neuronal loss in developing rats: Increased brain damage with binge exposure. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 1990;14(1):107-118. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.1990.tb00455.x
- Cardenas VA, Studholme C, Gazdzinsk S. et al. Deformation-based morphometry of brain changes in alcohol dependence and abstinence. Neuroirnage. 2007:34(3):879-887.
- Goodlett CR Lundahl KR Temporal determinants of neonatal alcohol-induced cerebellar damage and motor performance deficits. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1996;55(4):531-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-3057(96)00248-1
- Harvey RJ, Napper RM. Quantitative study of granule and Purkinje cells in the cerebellar cortex of the rat. J Comp Neurol. 1988:274(2):151-157. https://doi.org/10.1002/cne.902740202
- Hsiao SH Parrish All Nahm SS, et al. Effects of early postnatal ethanol intubation on GABAergic synaptic proteins. Dev Brain Res. 2002;138(2):177-185 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-3806(02)00470-4
- Ikonomidou C. Bittigau P. Ishimaru MJ. et al. Ethanol induced apoptotic neurodegeneration and fetid alcohol syndrome. Science. 2000:287 (5455):1056-1060. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.287.5455.1056
- Kelly SJ. Day N. Streissguth AP. Effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on social hehavior in humans and other species. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2000;22(12):143-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-0362(99)00073-2
- Kleim JLA. Swain RA, Armstrong KA. et al. Selective synaptic plasticity within the cerebellar cortex following complex motor skill learning. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 1998;69(3):274-289. https://doi.org/10.1006/nlme.1998.3827
- Klintsova AY, Matthews JT. Goodlett CR, et al. Therapeutic motor training increases parallel fiber synapse number per Purkinje neuron in cer-ebellar cortex of rats given postnatal binge al cohol exposure: Preliminary report. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1997:21(7):1257-1263.
- Klintsova AY. Scamra C. Hoffman M, et al. Therapeutic effects of complex motor training on motor per-formance deficits induced by neonatal binge-like alcohol exposure in rats: II. A quantitative stereo-logical study of synaptic plasticity in female rat cerebellum Brain Res. 2002:937(1-2)83-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-8993(02)02492-7
- Lacosta S. Merali Z. Anisman H. Influence of acute and repeated interleukin-2 administration on spatial learning, locomotor activity, exploratory behaviors and anxiety. Behav Neurosci 1999;113(5):1030-1041. https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7044.113.5.1030
- Lee KJ. Jung JG, Arii T, et al. Morphological changes in dendritic spines of Purkinje cells associated with motor Learning. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2007;88(4):445-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nlm.2007.06.001
- Light KE. Belcher SM fierce DR. Time course and manner of Purkinje neuron death following a single ethanol exposure on postnatal day 4 in the developing rat. Neuroscience. 2002:114(2):327-.337. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4522(02)00344-5
- Light KE. Ge Y, Belcher SM. Early postnatal ethanol exposure selectively decreases BDNF and truncated TrkB-T2 receptor mRNA expression in the rat cerebellum. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2001(1);93:46-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-328X(01)00182-6
- Livy DJ, Miller EK, Maier SE, et al. Fetal alcohol exposure and temporal vulnerability: Effects of binge-like alcohol exposure on the developing rat hippocampus. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2003:25 (4):447-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-0362(03)00030-8
- Mandolesi L. Leggio MG, Spirito F, et al. Is the cerebellum involved in the visuo- locomotor associative learning? Behav Brain Res. 2007;184(1):47-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2007.06.014
- Miller MW. Migration of cortical neurons is altered by gestrational exposure to ethanol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1993;17(2):304-314. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.1993.tb00768.x
- O'Leary-Moore SK. McMechan AP. Mathison SN, et al. Reversal learning after prenatal or early postnatal alcohol exposure in juvenile and adult rats. Alcohol. 2006:38(2):99-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.alcohol.2006.05.005
- Safo P, Regehr WG. Timing dependence of the induction of cerebellar LTD. Neuropharmacology, 2008;54(1):213-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropharm.2007.05.029
- Sanes JN. Neocortical mechanisms in motor learning. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2003;13(2):225-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-4388(03)00046-1
- Sowell ER Jemigan TL. Mattson SN, et al. Abnormal development of the cerebellar vermis in children prenatally exposed to alcohol: Size reduction in lobules I-V. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1996;20(1):31-34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.1996.tb01039.x
- Sowell ER, Thompson PM. Mattson SN. et al. Regional brain shape abnormalities persist into adolescence after heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Cereb Cortex. 2002;12(8):856-865. https://doi.org/10.1093/cercor/12.8.856
- Thompson RF, Bao S, Chen L, et al. Associative learning. Int Rev Neurobiol. 1997;41:151-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0074-7742(08)60351-7