- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Life of Laplace and His Influences on Modern Sciences
라플라스의 생애와 현대과학에 미친 영향
- Kim, Daniel (Dept. of Math., Southern Oregon Univ.) ;
- Kim, Sung Sook (Dept. of Applied Math., Paichai Univ.)
- Received : 2019.11.12
- Accepted : 2019.12.21
- Published : 2019.12.31
Pierre-Simon de Laplace(1749-1827) is considered one of the most influential scientists in history. He was known to his contemporaries as the Newton of France, and a scientific sage valued for his magisterial syntheses of scientific works through the 18th century. Laplace was a determined mathematician, astronomer, writer, philosopher, and educator. In this paper, we take a survey of his achievements in the areas of astronomy and mathematical statistics, along with his scientific philosophy, the universal determinism.
Supported by : 배재대학교
- Carl B. BOYER and Uta C. MERZBACH, History of Mathematics, John Wiley & Sons, 1991. 양영호, 조윤동 옮김, 수학의 역사, 경문사, 2000.
- David M. BURTON, The History of Mathematics: An introduction, 7th ed., McGraw-Hill, 2011. 허민 옮김, 수학의 역사.입문 하, 교우사, 2013.
- Howard EVES, An Introduction to the History of Mathematics, 1953, 이우영, 신항균 옮김, 수학사, 경문사, 1995.
- Charles GILLISPIE, Pierre-Simon Laplace: A Life in Exact Science, Princeton University Press, 1997.
- Prakash GORROOCHURN, Classic Topics on The History of Modern Mathematical Statistics: From Laplace to More Recent Times, Wiley, 2016.
- James E. McCLELLAN Harold DORN, Science and Technology in World History: An Introduction, Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006. 전대호 옮김, 과학과 기술로 본 세계사 강의, 모티브북 , 2006
- A. DE MORGAN, Review of Laplace's Theorie Analytique des Probabilites (3rd edition), Dublin Review 2: 338-354, 3: 237-248, 1937.
- T. PARIS, Review: Traite de Mecanique Celeste par M. Le Marquis de Laplace, Tome V. Paris, Bachelier, The American Quarterly Review 5: 310-343, June 1829.
- John PLAYEAIR, The works of John Playfair, 1822, Archibald constable & co. Edinburgh.
- S. M. STEIGLER, Laplace's early work: Chronology and citations, Isis 61(1978) 234-254.
- S. M. STEIGLER, The History of the Statistics: The Measurement of Uncertainty Before 1900, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass. 1986. 조재근 옮김, 통계학의 역사, 한길사, 2004.
- Dirk J. STRUIK, A Concise History of Mathematics, Dover, 1966.
- F. TRUSCOTT, F. EMORY, A Philosophical Essay on Probabilities (an English Translation of Essai Philosophieque sur les Probabilites (Laplace, 1814), 1902.
- Edmund WHITTAKER, Laplace, The Mathematical Gazette, The Mathematical Association 33(303) (1949), 1-12.
- R. S. WOODWARD, "Review of Tisserand's Mecanique Celeste", The Annals of Mathematics 6(2) (1891), 49-56. https://doi.org/10.2307/1967235
- 田村三郞, フランス革命と数学者たち—デカルトからガウスまで, 講談社, 1989. 프랑스혁명과 수학자들(데카르트로부터 가우스까지), 손영수 성영곤 옮김, 전파과학사, 2017.