- Volume 54 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A student's conceiving a pattern of change between two varying quantities in a quadratic functional situation and its representations: The case of Min-Seon
이차함수에서 두 변량사이의 관계 인식 및 표현의 발달 과정 분석: 민선의 경우를 중심으로
- Lee, Dong Gun (Kyung Gi High School) ;
- Moon, Min Joung (Juk Jeon High School) ;
- Shin, Jaehong (Korea National University Of Education)
- Received : 2015.08.28
- Accepted : 2015.11.05
- Published : 2015.11.30
The aim of this qualitative case study is twofold: 1) to analyze how an eleventh-grader, Min-Seon, conceive and represent a pattern of change between two varying quantities in a quadratic functional situation, and 2) further to help her form a concept of 'derivative' as a tool to express the relationship with employing a concept of 'rate of change.' The result indicates that Min-Seon was able to construct graphs of piecewise functions that take average rates of change as range of the functions, and managed to conjecture the derivative of a quadratic function,
- 강향임 (2012). 수학적 모델링 과정에서 접선 개념의 재 구성을 통한 미분계수의 재발명과 수학적 개념 변화, 학교수학 14(4), 409-429. Kang, H.I. (2012). Students' reinvention of derivative concept through construction of tangent lines in the context of mathematical modeling, School Mathematics 14(4), 409-429.
- 김남희, 나귀수, 박경미, 이경화, 정영옥, 홍진곤 (2011). 예비교사와 현직교사를 위한 수학교육과정과 교재연구. 서울: 경문사. Kim, N.H., Na, G.S., Park, K., Lee, K.H., Chong, Y.O., & Hong, J.K. (2011). Mathematics curriculum and textbook research for preservice and inservice teachers, Seoul: Kyungmoonsa.
- 김원경, 김용대 (2002). 교사의 수학적 지식에 대한 연구-함수 개념과 관련하여, 수학교육 41(1), 101-108. Kim, W.K. & Kim, Y.D. (2002). A study on teachers' knowledge of mathematics - With respect to the concept of function, The Mathematics Education 41(1), 101-108.
- 계승혁, 하길찬 (2010). 우리나라 고등학교 수학 교과서에서 함수의 증감과 극대.극소를 설명하는 방식에 대한 비판적 논의, 수학교육 49(2), 247-257. Kye, S.H. & Ha, K.C. (2010). A critical analysis on an explanation for monotonicity and local extrema of functions in Korean mathematics textbooks, The Mathematics Education, 49(2), 247-257.
- 모성준 (2013). 함수적 상황에서 중학교 1학년 학생들의 공변 수준에 관한 사례연구. 한국교원대학교 석사학위논문. Mo, S.J. (2013). A case study of seventh grade students' covariational reasoning in functional situations, Master's thesis, Korea National University of Education.
- 변희현, 주미경 (2012). 우리나라 중학생의 함수 개념화 특성, 수학교육학연구 22(3), 353-370. Byun, H.H. & Ju, M.K. (2012). Korean middle school students' conception of function, Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics 22(3), 353-370.
- 신은주 (2006). 등가속도 운동에서 미적분의 기본 아이디어 학습 과정에 관한 사례연구, 수학교육학연구 16(1), 59-78 Shin, E.J. (2006). A case study on learning of fundamental idea of calculus in constant acceleration movement, Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics 16(1), 59-78.
- 연용호, 이상한, 임성모, 한재영 (1996), 교과과정상의 미분개념에 관한 대수적 고찰, 수학교육, 35(1), 101-107. Yon, Y.H, Lee. S.H., Im, S.M. & Han, J.Y. (1996). Algebraic analysis on the derivative concept. The Mathematics Education 35(1), 101-107.
- 이현주, 류중현, 조완영 (2015). 통합적 이해의 관점에서 본 고등학교 학생들의 미분계수 개념 이해 분석, 수학교육논문집, 29(1), 131-155. Lee, H.J. & Ryu, J.H. & Cho, W.Y. (2015), An analysis on the understanding of high school students about the concept of a differential coefficient based on integrated understanding, Communications of Mathematical Education 29(1), 131-155.
- 임재훈, 박교식 (2004). 학교 수학에서 접선 개념 교수 방안 연구, 수학교육학연구 14(2), 171-185 Yim, J.H. & Park, K.S. (2004). Teaching and learning concepts of tangent in school mathematics, Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics 19(1), 171-185.
- 정연준, 이경화 (2009). 미적분의 기본정리에 대한 고찰 - 속도 그래프 아래의 넓이와 거리의 관계를 중심으로, 수학교육학연구 19(1), 123-142. Joung, Y.J. & Lee, K.H. (2009). A study on the fundamental theorem of calculus: Focused on the relation between the area under time-velocity graph and distance, Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics 19(1), 123-142.
- 최영주, 홍진곤 (2014). 도함수의 성질에 관련한 학생들의 사고에 대하여, 수학교육 53(1), 25-40. Choi, Y.J. & Hong, J.K. (2014), On the students' thinking of the properties of derivatives, The Mathematics Education 53(1), 25-40.
- Castillo-Garsow, C. (2012). Continuous quantitative reasoning. In R. Mayes, R. Bonillia, L. L. Hatfield & S. Belbase (Eds.), Quantitative reasoning: Current state of understanding WISDOMe Monographs (Vol. 2, pp. 55-74). Laramie, WY: University of Wyoming Press.
- Carlson, M., Jacobs, S., Coe, E., Larsen, S., & Hsu, E. (2002). Applying covariational reasoning while modeling dynamic events: A framework and a study. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education 33(5), 352-378. https://doi.org/10.2307/4149958
- Cho. H. H., Shin, D. J., & Woo, A. S. (2012). Development of covariational reasoning in LOGO-based JavaMAL, Microworld. Research in Mathematics Education 16(3), 1-13.
- Confrey, J., & Lachance, A. (2000). Transformative teaching experiments through conjecture-driven research design. In A. E. Kelly & R. A. Lesh (Eds.), Handbook of research design in mathematics and science education (pp. 231-266). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Confrey, J. & Smith, E. (1991). A framework for functions: Prototypes, multiple representations, and transformation. In R. Underhill & C. Brown (Eds.), Proceedings of the Thirteenth Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education, (pp. 57-63). Blacksburg, VA: Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University.
- Confrey, J. & Smith, E. (1994). Exponential functions, rates of change, and the multiplicative unit. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 26(2), 135-164. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01273661
- Confrey, J. & Smith, E. (1995). Splitting, covariation, and their role in the development of exponential functions. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education 26(1), 66-86. https://doi.org/10.2307/749228
- Ellis, A. B. (2011). Algebra in the middle school: Developing functional relationship through quantitative reasoning. In J. Cai, & E. Knuth (Eds.), Early algebraization (pp. 215-238). Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Hauger, G. S. (1995). Rate of change knowledge in high school and college students. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Lesh, R., & Clarke, D. (2000). Formulating operational definitions of desired outcomes of instruction in mathematics and science education. In A. E. Kelly & R. A. Lesh (Eds.), Handbook of research design in mathematics and science education (pp. 113-150). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Ronau, R. N., Meyer, D., & Crites, T. (2014) Putting essential understanding of functions into practice in grade 9-12. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Steffe, L. P. & Thompson, P. W. (2000). Teaching experiment methodology: Underlying principles and essential elements. In A. E. Kelly & R. A. Lesh (Eds.), Handbook of research design in mathematics and science education (pp. 267-306). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Thompson, P. W. (1994). Images of rate and operational understanding of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Educational Studies in Mathematics 26(2-3), 229-274. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01273664
- Thompson, P. W. (2008). Conceptual analysis of mathematical ideas: Some spadework at the foundation of mathematics education. In O. Figueras, J. L. Cortina, S. Alatorre, T. Rojano, & A. Sepulveda (Eds.), Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (pp 45-64) Morelia, Mexico. PME.
- Stroup, W. (2002). Understanding qualitative calculus: A structural synthesis of learning research. International Journal of Computers for Mathematical Learning 7, 167-215. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021147132127
- Zandieh, M. (2000). A theoretical framework for analyzing student understanding of the concept of derivative. CBMS Issues in Mathematics Education 8, 103-122.