- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Problem-solving ability of dental hygiene students in accordance by meta-cognition level
치위생과 학생의 메타인지수준과 문제해결능력
- Jun, Soo Kyung (Department of Biomaterial Science, College of Dentistry, Dankook University) ;
- Lee, Seong-Sook (Department of Dental Hygiene, Yeoju Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Dong Ae (Department of Dental Hygiene, Yeoju Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2014.07.28
- Accepted : 2014.10.08
- Published : 2014.10.30
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to examine classifying the level and accuracy of the meta-cognitive level of students and dental hygiene, and to understand the impact on the process of problem solving and accordingly, it is intended to provide a basis for learning strategies. Methods : A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 328 dental hygiene students in 3 colleges in Gyeonggi-do and Chungnam. Data were analyzed by the frequency analysis, one-way ANOVA, Scheffe's post-hoc test, Pearson's correlation coefficient using SPSS 12.0. Results : Meta-cognitive level of the subject was on average 4.43 points and problem solving level was lower at 2.82 points. Showed a significant difference in satisfaction with the major motives meta-cognitive level in accordance with the general characteristics of the subjects(p<0.05). Results of this study showed that no statistically significant differences in both the sub-areas of the level of problem solving according to the general characteristics of the subject(p>0.05). There was no correlation between the ability to solve problems and meta-cognitive level of the subjects(p>0.05). Conclusions : The finding of the study showed that meta-perception of dental hygiene students are lower the level of problem-solving that is compared to meta-cognition. It is suggested that development of a variety of learning methods for improving meta-cognitive thinking and problem-solving skills required in dental hygiene school curriculum.
- Yu JS, Hwang SH, Choi YJ. Factors influencing problem solving ability among dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(4): 510-17.
- Kang BW, Kang JK, Kang HK, Gu IY, Kwan HS, Kim JY et al. Introduction to dental hygienics. Seoul: Jeeseung; 2013; 107-32.
- Hwang MY, Lee CS. A study on approach toward integrative dental-hygienist curriculum model. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2007; 7: 595-609.
- Choi EY, Kim JY. The relationship of core competencies(problem solving ability, communication ability, self-directed learning ability) to critical thinking. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2007; 14(4): 412-19.
- Han KJ, Lee YK. Metacognitive thinking impact on problem solving skills in the learning of minority. J Korea Soc Math Ed Ser E 2005; 19(1): 271-90.
- Baker L, Brown AI. Metacognitive skills of reading. New York: Longman; 1984: 1-188.
- Kang MH, Song YH, Park SH. Relationships among metacognition, flow, interactions and problem solving ability in web-based problem based learning. J Res Curriculum Instruction 2008; 12(2): 293-315.
- Silfe BD, Weiss J, Bell T. Separability of metacognition and cognition: problem solving in learning disabled and regular students. J. Educational Psychology 1985; 77(4): 437-45. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1247
- Kim DH. Metacognition and problem solving ability among nursing students in korea. Globel Health Nurs 2014; 4(1): 11-7.
- Jang KS, Kim NY, Ryu SA, Kim YM, Chung KH. Effects of collaborative learning on problem-solving processes according to the level of metacognition in clinical practice of nursing management. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2007; 13(2): 191-98.
- Jung YR, Hwang YS. Development of PBL package focusing on the roles of dental hygienists. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2004; 4: 119-32.
- Kim SH. A study of problem based Learning(PBL) experience in dental hygiene education learning attitude, student assessment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(5): 797-805.
- Printrich PR, Degroot E. Motivational and self-regulated learning components of cognitive processing during instruction. J Edu Psy 1990; 82: 33-40. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.199
- Woo OK. The effect of a PBL(problem based Learning) on the problem solving process of students by their meta-cognitive levels［Master's thesis］. Cheongju: Univ. of Chungbuk, 2000.
- Lee JS. The effects of process behaviors on problem solving performance of various tests[Doctoral dissertation], Chicago: Univ. of Chicago, 1978.
- Park JW, Woo OH. The Effects of PBL(Problem-Based Learning) on Problem Soving Process by Learner's Metacognitive Level. Korea Soc Edu Tech 1999; 15(3): 55-81.
- Chang KW. Effects of full problem based learning of dental education in terms of problem solving process, meta-cognition, and intrinsic motivation. J Korean Acad Dent Health. 2009; 33(1): 90-102.
- Steven R, Yussen. The growth of reflection in children. Orlando: Academic Press; 1985: 207-41.
- Chae SJ. Problem-based learning and evaluating. Seoul: KSI; 2005: 122-35.
- Oh SR. A study on the effectiveness of cognitive behavioral group program in strengthening problem-solving ability of mothers of develop mentally disabled children [Doctoral dissertation. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul, 1997.
- Hsu LL, Hsieh SI. Factors affecting metacognition of undergraduate nursing students in a blended learning. International Journal of Nursing Practice 2014; 20(3): 233-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12131
- Stewart PW, Cooper SS, Moulding LR. Metacognitive development in professional educators. The Researcher 2007; 21(1): 32-40.
- Hwang YY, Park CS, Chu MS. Correlations among meta cognition, critical thinking and self-efficacy of nursing students studying through problem based learning(PBL). J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2007; 18(1): 146-55.
- Priority analysis of NCS based vocational core competency of dental hygienists in Gwangju vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.337