- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparative Analysis of the Electromyography Activity of Core Muscles During Balance Pad- and Sling-assisted Exercises
- Liu, Yaoyao (Department of Physical Therapy, Graduate School of Inje University) ;
- Yoo, Won-gyu (Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health Care Medical Science and Engineering, Inje University) ;
- Kim, Su-Jung (KEMA Healing Center)
- 투고 : 2020.10.26
- 심사 : 2020.10.30
- 발행 : 2020.11.20
Background: Unstable surface-based core training can significantly enhance core strength, but no studies have compared the effects of balance pad- and sling-assisted exercises. Objects: To study the effects of unstable surface-based balance pad- and sling-assisted core strength exercises on muscle activity. Methods: Twenty male students aged 20-25 years participated in this study. The effects of three types of core strength exercises, performed with a sling or balance pad, on the activities of three muscles, i.e., the right musculus obliquus externus abdominis (EO), right erector spinae (ES), and right gluteus maximus (GM), were examined. Results: 1) In the glute bridge exercise, the percentage of maximum voluntary contraction of the EO, ES, and GM were significantly different between the balance pad- and sling-assisted exercises. The relative contribution of the ES and GM activities to all muscle activity were not significantly different between the two training types, whereas that for EO showed a significant difference. 2) There was no significant difference in the percentage value of maximum voluntary contraction (%MVC) among the EO, ES, and GM during the "leg-lifting with flat support" exercise, and there were no significant difference in the relative contributions between the two training types. 3) In the "side bridge leg separation exercise", the %MVC of the ES, EO, and GM were significantly different between the two training types. Conclusion: Sling training for core muscles was generally better than balance pad assist training. The majority of physiotherapy patients require core training. Our results could guide physiotherapists in the choice of targeted exercises for these patients.
- Cabanas-Valdes R, Bagur-Calafat C, Girabent-Farres M, Caballero-Gomez FM, Hernandez-Valino M, Urrutia Cuchi G. The effect of additional core stability exercises on improving dynamic sitting balance and trunk control for subacute stroke patients: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Rehabil 2016;30(10):1024-33. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215515609414
- Willson JD, Dougherty CP, Ireland ML, Davis IM. Core stability and its relationship to lower extremity function and injury. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2005;13(5):316-25. https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-200509000-00005
- Hasegawa I. The use of unstable training for enhancing sport performance. NSCA Perform Train J 2005;4(4):15-7.
- Pilates JH. Your health: a corrective system of exercising that revolutionizes the entire field of physical education. Incline Village: Presentation Dynamics; 1998.
- Leetun DT, Ireland ML, Willson JD, Ballantyne BT, Davis IM. Core stability measures as risk factors for lower extremity injury in athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2004;36(6):926-34. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000128145.75199.C3
- Kibler WB, Press J, Sciascia A. The role of core stability in athletic function. Sports Med 2006;36(3):189-98. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200636030-00001
- Brumitt J, Matheson JW, Meira EP. Core stabilization exercise prescription, part I: current concepts in assessment and intervention. Sports Health 2013;5(6):504-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738113502451
- Huxel Bliven KC, Anderson BE. Core stability training for injury prevention. Sports Health 2013;5(6):514-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738113481200
- Akuthota V, Nadler SF. Core strengthening. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2004;85(3 Suppl 1):S86-92.
- Chung EJ, Kim JH, Lee BH. The effects of core stabilization exercise on dynamic balance and gait function in stroke patients. J Phys Ther Sci 2013;25(7):803-6. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.25.803
- Anderson GS, Gaetz M, Holzmann M, Twist P. Comparison of EMG activity during stable and unstable push-up protocols. Eur J Sport Sci 2013;13(1):42-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/17461391.2011.577240
- Martuscello JM, Nuzzo JL, Ashley CD, Campbell BI, Orriola JJ, Mayer JM. Systematic review of core muscle activity during physical fitness exercises. J Strength Cond Res 2013;27(6):1684-98. https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e318291b8da
- Willardson JM. Core stability training: applications to sports conditioning programs. J Strength Cond Res 2007;21(3):979-85. https://doi.org/10.1519/R-20255.1
- Chen L, Chen J, Peng Q, Chen J, Zou Y, Liu G. Effect of sling exercise training on balance in patients with stroke: a metaanalysis. PLoS One 2016;11(10):e0163351. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0163351
- Gaedtke A, Morat T. TRX suspension training: a new functional training approach for older adults - development, training control and feasibility. Int J Exerc Sci 2015;8(3):224-33.
- Petrofsky JS, Batt J, Davis N, Lohman E, Laymon M, De Leon GE, et al. Core muscle activity during exercise on a mini stability ball compared with abdominal crunches on the floor and on a Swiss ball. J Appl Res 2007;7(3):255-72.
- Romero-Franco N, Martinez-Lopez E, Lomas-Vega R, Hita-Contreras F, Martinez-Amat A. Effects of proprioceptive training program on core stability and center of gravity control in sprinters. J Strength Cond Res 2012;26(8):2071-7. https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e31823b06e6
- Lee D, Kim H, An H, Jang J, Hong S, Jung S, et al. Comparison of postural sway depending on balance pad type. J Phys Ther Sci 2018;30(2):252-7. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.30.252
- Vera-Garcia FJ, Elvira JL, Brown SH, McGill SM. Effects of abdominal stabilization maneuvers on the control of spine motion and stability against sudden trunk perturbations. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2007;17(5):556-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2006.07.004
- Mok NW, Yeung EW, Cho JC, Hui SC, Liu KC, Pang CH. Core muscle activity during suspension exercises. J Sci Med Sport 2015;18(2):189-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2014.01.002
- Park SY, Yoo WG. Effect of height of feet on trunk muscle activity and pelvic tilt angle during prone bridge exercises. Isokinet Exerc Sci 2016;24(3):189-94. https://doi.org/10.3233/IES-160616
- Maeo S, Takahashi T, Takai Y, Kanehisa H. Trunk muscle activities during abdominal bracing: comparison among muscles and exercises. J Sports Sci Med 2013;12(3):467-74.
- Yuan JT. [Experimental study on the effect of three bridge exercises on superficial core muscle of male college students]. Chengdu, Chengdu Institute of Physical Education, Master Dissertation. 2017. Chinese.
- Petrofsky JS, Prowse M, Bains GS, Sharma A, Batt J, Gunda S. Core muscle use in superficial and deep abdominal muscles with a crunchless abs video. J Appl Res 2009;9(3):88-99.
- Petrofsky JS. Frequency and amplitude analysis of the EMG during exercise on the bicycle ergometer. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1979;41(1):1-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00424464
- Petrofsky JS, Lind AR. Frequency analysis of the surface electromyogram during sustained isometric contractions. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1980;43(2):173-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00422448
- Petrofsky JS. Computer analysis of the surface EMG during isometric exercise. Comput Biol Med 1980;10(2):83-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4825(80)90025-6
- Vera-Garcia FJ, Moreside JM, McGill SM. MVC techniques to normalize trunk muscle EMG in healthy women. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2010;20(1):10-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2009.03.010
- Cugliari G, Boccia G. Core muscle activation in suspension training exercises. J Hum Kinet 2017;56:61-71. https://doi.org/10.1515/hukin-2017-0023
- Czaprowski D, Afeltowicz A, Gebicka A, Pawlowska P, Kedra A, Barrios C, et al. Abdominal muscle EMG-activity during bridge exercises on stable and unstable surfaces. Phys Ther Sport 2014;15(3):162-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2013.09.003
- Kim SY, Chae JB, Kwon JH. Physical therapy session duration in patients with low back pain: descriptive Research. J Korean Acad Orthop Man Ther 2001;7(1):51-66.
- Bak J, Shim S, Cho M, Chung Y. The effect of plank exercises with hip abduction using sling on trunk muscle activation in healthy adults. J Korean Phys Ther 2017:29(3):128-34. https://doi.org/10.18857/jkpt.2017.29.3.128
- Comfort P, Pearson SJ, Mather D. An electromyographical comparison of trunk muscle activity during isometric trunk and dynamic strengthening exercises. J Strength Cond Res 2011;25(1):149-54. https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181fb412f