- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Publishing and Transmission of Mathematics Books Using Traditional Korean Book List and the Catalogues of Woodblocks 1 -Focusing on mathematics textbooks of national mathematical examinations 算學取才 in the first half of Joseon Dynasty-
전근대시기 한국의 책판목록(冊板目錄)과 도서목록을 통한 산학서 (算學書)의 간행과 유전(流傳) 고찰 1 -조선전기 산학취재(算學取才) 교과서의 간행을 중심으로-
- Kang, Min-Jeong (Institute for the Translation of Korean Classics)
- Received : 2020.02.20
- Accepted : 2020.04.27
- Published : 2020.04.30
We considered the context of the publications and transmissions of mathematics books using the Korean traditional book lists and the catalogues of woodblocks in the Joseon Dynasty and DaeHan大韓 Empire period. Among the results, this paper first describes the context of the publication and transmission of mathematics textbooks of national math exams算學取才 in the first half of Joseon, adding a step more specific to the facts known so far. In 1430, 『YangHui SanFa楊輝算法』, 『XiangMing SuanFa詳明算法』, 『SuanXue QiMeng算學啓蒙』, 『DiSuan地算』, 『WuCao SuanJing五曹算經』 were selected as the textbooks of national math exams算學取才. 『YangHui SanFa』, 『XiangMing SuanFa』, 『DiSuan』 were included in the catalogues of woodblocks in the Joseon Dynasty before the Japanese invasion in 1592, and we could see that Gyeongju慶州, Chuncheon春川, and Wonju原州 were the printing centers of these books. Through other lists, literature records and real text books, it came out into the open that 『XiangMing SuanFa』 was published as movable print books three times at least, 『SuanXue QiMeng』 four times at least in the first half of Joseon Dynasty. And 『XiangMing SuanFa』 was published at about 100 years later than 『YangHui SanFa楊輝算法』 as xylographic books, 『SuanXue QiMeng』 was published twice as xylographic books in the second half of Joseon Dynasty. Whether or not the list of royal books included the Korean or Chinese versions of these books, and additional notation in that shows how the royal estimation of these books changed.
- Joseon Wangjo Silok(Annals of the Joseon Dynasty), http://sillok.history.go.kr.
- Sungjeongwon ilgi(Diary of Choseon dynasty noted by Sungjeongwon), http://sjw.history.go.kr.
- LEE Soon-ji, KIM Seok-je, Gyosik Choobo Beob, Source Materials Collection in the Korean History of Science and Technology, Astronomy Section 5, Yeogang Press, 1986.
- HWANG Yun-seok, Ijae Yugo, Source Materials Collection in the Korean History of Literary Works 246, Institute for Translation of Korean Classics, 2000.
- RUAN Yuan, Siku Weishoushu Tiyao, Shanghai Guji Press, 1999.
- KIM Chi-woo, A Research on the Catalogues of Woodblocks in Gosa Chwalyo攷事撮要, Minjok Moonhwa Press, 1983.
- KIM Chi-woo, A Research on the Catalogues of Woodblocks in Gosa Chwalyo攷事撮要and the Printed Books included in the Catalogues, Asea Moonhwa Press, 2008.
- JEONG Hyeong-woo, YUN Byeong-tae, Directory of Korean Catalogues of Woodblocks, The Academy of Korean Studies, 1979.
- Collection of the Ancient Book Lists, DongGuk University Library, 1963.
- ZHANG Bo-wei, Source Materials Collection in Joseon Dynasty of Book Lists, Zhonghua Press, 2004.
- KIM Yong-woon, KIM Yong-kook, Korean Mathematical History, Salim Press, 2009.
- KAWAHARA Heedeki, AN Dae-ok transl., Joseon's Mathematical History, Yaemoon Seoweon, 2017.
- HONG Seong-Sa et al, The Interpretation of Good Editions 17, Astronomy and Mathematics Section, National Library of Korea, 2015.
- National Institute of Korean History, (New edition) Korean History, Tamgudang, 2013.
- King Sejong the Great Memorial Society transl., Jeungbo Moonheon Beego Translated into Korean, King Sejong the Great Memorial Society, 1995.
- CHOI Han-gi, LEE gi-seok et al, transl., Injeong, Institute for Translation of Korean Classics, 1980.
- WU Wen-jun, Zhongguo Shuxue Shi Daxi 6, Beijing Shifandaxue Press, 1999.
- LIANG Qi-chao, An Introduction to Scholarship of Qing Dynasty, Shanghai Guji Press, 1998.
- CHEON Hye-bong, The Bibliography of Korea, Mineum Sa, 2007.
- LEE No-kuk, A Research on Astronomy and Mathematics Books in 19th Century, Hankuk Haksul Jeongbo, 2006.
- PARK Hyun-soon, Examination on the Collection of Books in Gyujanggak through the Gyujanggak Seomok奎章閣書目, Hankuk Moonhwa 70 (2015), 38-41.
- NAM Gueon-hee, Analysis of Gyujanggak Seogo奎章閣書庫and the Book List, Gyujanggak Vol. 7, 1983.
- NAM Gueon-hee, A Study on Gyeong-o Ja Bon Xinbian Suanxue Qimeng新編算學啓蒙and Various Editions, Research in Bibliography 16 (1988), 344-349.
- MIN Hoi-soo, A Study on the Formation Process of the 'Category of Record記錄類' in the Catalogues of Books from Kyujanggak Archive Produced during the Period of Japanese Occupation, Hankuk Moonhwa 7 (2015), 91-119.
- JUNG Dae-young, A Study of Old Maps Recorded in the List of Books of the Joseon Period from the Jangseogak Library Collection, Korean Old Map Study 2 (2010), 5-25.
PARK Jeong-sook, Our Bibliography's Challenges Reflecting in
, Journal of China Studies 3 (2007), 358-376.
- HONG Sung-sa, HONG Young-hee, Chosun Mathematics Book Suanxue Qimeng Juhae算學啓蒙註解, Journal for History of Mathematics 22 (2009), 1-12.
- KANG Min-jeong, The Present State and Some Tasks on the Translation of the Traditional Mathematics Books of East Asia, Classical Translation Study, 5 (2014), 107-201.
- HAN Mee-gyeong, Analysis of Publication of Mathematics Related Literatures in Chosun Times, Seoji Hakbo 38 (2011), 53-76.
- JEON Deok-jae, Compilation and Contents of Donggyeong Jabgi東京雜記, The Journal of the Center of Research for Silla Culture 19 (2001), 77-101.
- HWANG Jae-hyeon, Interpretation, Donggyeong Tongji東京通誌Translated into Korean, Gyeongju Moonhwa Won, 1989.
- JING Yu-shu, Short Description of XiangMing SuanFa詳明算法, Zhongguo Lidai Suanxue Jicheng, Shandong Renmin Press, 1994.
- KIM Ho, The Transmission to China of Joseon Version of Xinbian Suanxue Qimeng新編 算學啓蒙and Its Impact, Korea Journal of Chinese Language and Literature 58(0) (2015), 1-27.
- LEE Eun-ju, A Brief Consideration on Joseon Version of XiangMing SuanFa詳明算法, Not published yet.
- Cultural Heritage Administration, http://www.heritage.go.kr.
- Database of Pre-Modern Japanese Works, https://kotenseki.nijl.ac.jp.
- University of Tsukuba Library, https://www.tulips.tsukuba.ac.jp.
- Cultural Heritage Administration. http://search.cha.go.kr/srch_org/search/search_top.jsp
- LEE JangJoo, Searching for the academic trace of Gyeong Seon Jing -Celebrating his 400th anniversary, Proceedings of The Korean Society for History of Mathematics 26(1) (2016), 45-46.