- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing the Use of Dental Services by Foreign Tourists in Thailand
- Chongthanavanit, Papon (Marketing Communication School of Communication Arts University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce) ;
- Kheokao, Jantima (Marketing Communication School of Communication Arts University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce)
- Received : 2018.01.28
- Accepted : 2018.02.23
- Published : 2018.02.28
This exploratory research investigated the factors that influence foreign tourists' decision to use dental services in Thailand. The questionnaire was used to collect data from foreign tourists who used dental services in a hospital or dental clinic in Thailand. Data from 233 respondents completed questionnaires were analyzed using frequency distribution, percentages, mean, and standard deviation. The findings revealed that respondents were most likely to be Asian (54.5%) followed by European (33.9%), females (64.8%) aged between 26-35 years (39.1%), business owners (45.9%), and came to Thailand with friends (47.6%). Regarding travel purposes and contact with dental services, most of them travel for pleasure (52.89%) and contact the clinic directly through the Internet(63.95%) The health/medical services used included health check-up (34.48%), dental services (29.22%), and day spa/massage (23.23%). The dental treatment that respondents had completed or planned to do included dental check-up (29.87%), tooth cleaning (26.68%), and tooth whitening (11.41%). Based on the influence of
- Andreasen, A. R., Kotler, P., & Parker, D. (2008). Strategic marketing for nonprofit organizations. 7th ed. Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Economic Research Center of Siam Commercial Bank. (2017). Medical Tourism Great: Opportunity of Thailand. Retrieved from https://www.posttoday.com/biz/aec/column/492041
- Intralib, N. T., & Lyder, R. (2017). Investing in the Thai healthcare, wellness and medical industry. Chandler MHM. Retrieved from https://seven02.s3.amazonaws.com/1490671480.f1363fca9850173f8a0a02b75c3cef57.pdf
- Kotler, P. (1997). Marketing management: analysis, planning, implementation, and control. (9th ed). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kotler, P., & Keller, K.L. (2012). Marketing management. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Meldrum, M., & McDonald, M. (2007). Marketing in a nutshell: Key concepts for nonspecialists. Burlington, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Medical Tourism to Thailand. (nd). Retrieved from https://www.health-tourism.com/medical-tourism-thailand/
- Ministry of Tourism and Sports of Thaialnd. (2011). Thailand national tourism development plan 2012-2015. Retrieved from http://www.mots.go.th/download/ImplementationOfThePolicy/NotificationOfTheNationalTourismPolicy.PDF
- New data on Thailand medical tourism. (2017). International Medical Travel Journal. Retrieved from https://www.imtj.com/news/new-data-thailand-medical-tourism/
- Porter, M. E. (1990). The competitive advantage of nations. Harvard business review, 68(2), 73-93. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/1990/03/the-competitive-advantage-of-nations
- Runnels, V., & Carrera, P. M. (2012). Why do patients engage in medical tourism. Maturitas 73(4), 300-304. 10.1016/j.maturitas.2012.08.011
- Smith, P. C., & Forgione, D. A. (2007). Global outsourcing of healthcare: A medical tourism decision model. Journal of Information Technology Case and Application Research, 9(3), 19-30. https://doi.org/10.1080/15228053.2007.10856117
- Sutherland, A. (2017). The cost of medical treatment in Thailand. Retrieved from https://thaiexpathealth.com/the-cost-of-medical-treatment-in-thailand/
- Thailand Dental Council (2016). Dentistry Trend in the next five year: Opportunity or crisis?. Retrieved from https://bdms2016.meetingsquare.io/slides/364c7c606deadd2cabfb5c8f46b7e98a.pdf