- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Simulation-based Practice by applying Problem based Learning on Problem Solving Process, Self-confidence in Clinical Performance and Nursing Competence
문제중심학습을 적용한 시뮬레이션 실습이 간호학생의 문제해결과정, 임상수행자신감과 간호수행능력에 미치는 효과
- Song, Young A (Department of Nursing, Ansan University)
- 송영아 (안산대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2014.09.13
- Accepted : 2014.11.03
- Published : 2014.12.20
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to analyze the effectiveness of simulation-based maternity nursing practice by applying problem based learning (PBL) on the problem solving process, self-confidence in clinical performance and nursing competence of nursing students. Methods: This study was one group pre-posttest design, with 123 third year nursing students. Data were collected from March 19 to May 29, 2013 as the students completed their simulation practice class. Students completed a survey about their problem solving process, self-confidence, and nursing competence at the beginning and the end of the class. Results: Students' problem solving process, self-confidence, and nursing competence showed significant improvements after the simulation-based maternity nursing practice. Conclusion: Therefore, it is recommended that current maternity nursing curriculum should be reviewed and improved, and the students should be provided variety of simulation-based education and maternity nursing skills.
- Son YJ, Song YA. Effects of simulation and problem-based learning courses on student critical thinking, problem solving abilities and learning. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2012;18(1):43-52. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.043
- Bremner MN, Aduddell K, Bennett DN, VanGeest JB. The use of human patient simulators: Best practices with novice nursing students. Nurse Educator. 2006;31(4):170-174. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006223-200607000-00011
- Roh YS, Cho ES, Lee WS. Analysis of main instructional design factors for simulation integrated PBL nursing courses. The Journal of Educational Information and Media. 2010;16(1):125-143.
- Song YA, Son YJ. Effects of simulation-based practice education for core skill of maternity nursing. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal. 2013;16(1):37-44.
- Chung CW, Kim HS, Park YS. Effects of high-fidelity simulation-based education on maternity nursing. Perspectives in Nursing Science. 2011;8(2):86-96.
- Park JH, Jung E, Ko JK, Yoo HB. Delivery training for undergraduate medical students using birth simulator. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Science. 2008;51(9):950-956.
- Reilly A, Spratt C. The perceptions of undergraduate student nurses of high-fidelity simulation-based learning: A case report from the University of Tasmania. Nurse Education Today. 2007;27(6):542-550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.08.015
- Kim, JY, Choi EY. Learning element recognition and academic achievement of nursing student receiving PBL with simulation education. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2008;20(5):731-742.
- Lathrop A, Winningham B, VandeVusse L. Simulation-based learning for midwives: Background and pilot implementation. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health. 2007;52(5):492-498. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmwh.2007.03.018
- Jeffries PR. A framework for designing, implementing, and evaluating simulation used as teaching strategies in nursing. Nursing Education Perspectives. 2005;26(2):96-103.
- Back KS, Song AR, Kim YH, Kim TK. Relationship among satisfaction level with PBL-based clinical practice education, autonomy and achievement motivation. Journal of East-West Nursing Research. 2007;13(2):92-106.
- Lee WS, Cho KC, Yang SH, Roh YS, Lee GY. Effects of problem-based learning combined with simulation on the basic nursing competency of nursing students. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2009;16(1):64-72.
- Kim SA, Lee SK, Chae HJ. Effects of clinical practice and simulation-based practice for obstetrical nursing. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2012;18(3):180-189. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2012.18.3.180
- Ackermann AD, Kenny G, Walker C. Simulator programs for new nurses' orientation: A retention strategy. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development. 2007;23(3):136-139. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NND.0000277183.32582.43
- Kim YH, Jang KS. Effect of a Simulation-based education on cardio-pulmonary emergency care knowledge, clinical performance ability and problem solving process in new nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2011;41(2):245-255. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.245
- Turcato N, Roberson C, Covert K. Simulation-based education: What's in it for nurse anesthesia educators? Journal of the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. 2008;76(4):257-264.
- Moule P, Wilford A, Sales R, Lockyer L. Student experiences and mentor views of the use of simulation for learning. Nurse Education Today. 2008;28(7):790-797. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2008.03.007
- Lee JS. The effects of process behaviors on problem-solving performance on various test [dissertation]. Chicago: Chicago University; 1978.
- Fehring RJ. Methods to validate nursing diagnoses. Heart & Lung. 1987;16(1):625-629.
- Kneebone R. Evaluating clinical simulations for learning procedural skills: A theory-based approach. Academic Medicine. 2005;80(6):549-553. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200506000-00006
- Baird SC, Bopp A, Kruckenberg Schofer KK, Langenberg AS, Matheis-Kraft C. An innovative model for clinical teaching. Nurse Educator. 1994:19(3):23-25.
- Yang JJ. Development and evaluation of a simulation-based education course for nursing students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2008;20(4):548-560.
- Baillie L, Curzio J. Students' and facilitators' perceptions of simulation in practice learning. Nurse Education in Practice. 2009;9(5):297-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2008.08.007
- Oh HK, Han YI. Effects of simulation-based training on stress and self-efficacy in nursing students. Journal of Korean Society of School Health. 2011;24(1):33-40.
- Decker S, Sportsman S, Puetz L, Billings L. The evolution of simulation and its contribution to competency. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 2008;39(2):74-80. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20080201-06
- Lee WS, Kim MO. Effects and adequacy of high-fidelity simulation-based training for obstetrical nursing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2011;41(4):433-443. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433
- Jude DC, Gilbert GG, Magrane D. Simulation training in the obstetrics and gynecology clerkship. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2006;195(5):1489-1492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2006.05.003
- Lee JO. The effects of simulation-based training, underwent before or after the clinical practice for the nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education. 2014;20(2):203-211. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.203