- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the History of Statistics in the Early Twentieth Century Focused on Statistical Tests and Psychology
20세기 전반기 통계학사에 대한 연구 : 통계적 검정과 심리학을 중심으로
- Jo, Jae Keun (Dept. of Informational Statistics, Kyungsung Univ.)
- Received : 2013.05.17
- Accepted : 2013.08.09
- Published : 2013.08.31
It was not until the early twentieth century that statistics emerged as an independent academic discipline. The developments of statistical theory and methods would not have been possible without heated controversies among founding fathers. One of them, controversy on the statistical test between R. A. Fisher and J. Neyman, E. S. Pearson had been very fierce and long-lasting. On the other hand it was in the early twentieth century that psychologists began to utilize statistical test which was a hybrid of tests developed by Fisher and Neyman-Pearson. By considering the history of fields such as psychology, we can see distinctive characteristics specific to the history of statistics.
Supported by : 경성대학교
- J. Berkson,"Tests of significance considered as evidence", Journal of the American Statistical Association 37(1942), 325-335. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1942.10501760
- J. Bernoulli, The Art of Conjecturing, (Korean translation by Jae Keun Jo), Jimanji, 2008. J. 베르누이,추측술, 조재근 옮김, 지만지, 2008.
- E. Boring, A history of Experimental Psychology, second edition, Prentice Hall, 1950.
- S. L. Chow, Statistical Significance: Rationale, Validity and Utility, SAGE, 1996.
- M. Cowles, Statistics in Psychology: An Historical Perspective, second edition, Lawrence Erlbaum, 2001.
- A. T. Craig, Our Silver Anniversary, Annals of Mathematical Statistics 31(1960), 835-837. https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177705660
- M. Dickson and D. Baird, Significance Testing, Handbook of the Philosophy of Science, Vol. 7., Philosophy of Statistics(edited by Prasanta S. Bandyopadhyay and Malcolm Forster), Kluwer Academic Press, 2011.
- B. Efron, The Statistical Century, Stochastic Musings: Perspectives from the Pioneers of the Late 20th Century(edited by J. Panaretos), Lawrence Erlbaum, 2003, 29-44.
- I. Fisher,"Statistics in the Service of Economics", Journal of the American Statistical Association 28(1933), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1933.10502629
- R. A. Fisher,"The Logic of Inductive Inference(with discussions)", Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 98(1935), 39-82. https://doi.org/10.2307/2342435
- R. A. Fisher,"Statistical Methods and Scientific Induction", Journal of the Royal Statistical Society(B) 17(1955), 69-78.
- R. A. Fisher, Statistical Methods and Scientific Inference, second edition, Harfner, 1959.
- G. Gigerenzer, Probabilistic Thinking And The Fight Against Subjectivity, The Probabilistic Revolution, Vol. 1: Ideas in History, (edited by L. Krüger, L. Daston, M. Heidelberger) MIT Press, 1987, 11-33.
- G. Gigerenzer, Rationality for Mortals. How People Cope with Uncertainty, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- G. Gigerenzer and D. J. Murray, Cognition as Intuitive Statistics, L. Erlbaum Associates, 1987.
- I. Hacking, The Taming of Chance, (Korean translation by Hye Kyung Jung), Badabooks, 2012. I. 해킹,우연을 길들이다, 정혜경 옮김, 바다출판사, 2012.
- W. Hager, The Statistical Theories of Fisher and of Neyman and Pearson: A Methodological Perspective, Theory & Psychology 23(2013), 251-270. https://doi.org/10.1177/0959354312465483
- A. Hald, A History of Mathematical Statistics from 1750 to 1930, Wiley, 1998.
- P. F. Halpin and H. J. Stam,"Inductive Inference or Inductive Behavior: Fisher and Neyman: Pearson Approaches to Statistical Testing in Psychological Research (1940- 1960)", The American Journal of Psychology 119(2006), 625-653. https://doi.org/10.2307/20445367
- R. Hubbard and P. A. Ryan,"The Historical Growth of Statistical Significance Testing in Psychology—And Its Future Prospects", Educational and Psychological Measurement 60(2000), 661-681.
- R. Hubbard and M. J. Bayarri,"Confusion over Measures of Evidence (p's) versus Errors('s) in Classical Statistical Testing", The American Statistician 57(2003), 171-182. https://doi.org/10.1198/0003130031856
- Huh M. H., Tests of Significance, On R. A. Fisher's Contributions to Statistics, Freedom Academy, 1988, 49-57. 허명회,유의성 검정, R. A. Fisher 연구, 자유아카데미, 1988, 49-57.
- W. Hunter,"Drawing the Boundaries: Mathematical Statistics in 20th-century America", Historia Mathematica 23(1996), 7-30. https://doi.org/10.1006/hmat.1996.0002
- W. Hunter,"An Unofficial Community: American Mathematical Statisticians before 1935", Annals of Science 56(1999), 47-68. https://doi.org/10.1080/000337999296526
- M. G. Kendall,"On the Future of Statistics—A Second Look", Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series A 131(1968), 182-204. https://doi.org/10.2307/2343841
- P. S. Laplace, Philosophical Essay on Probabilities, (Korean translation by Jae Keun Jo), Jimanji, 2009. P. S. 라플라스,확률에 대한 철학적 시론, 조재근 옮김, 지만지, 2009.
- E. L. Lehmann, Testing Statistical Hypotheses, Wiley, 1959.
- E. L. Lehmann, Introduction to Neyman and Pearson (1933) On the Problem of the Most Efficient Tests of Statistical Hypotheses, Breakthroughs in Statistics, Springer, 1992, 67-72.
- E. L. Lehmann,"The Fisher, Neyman-Pearson Theories of Testing Hypotheses: One Theory or Two?", Journal of the American Statistical Association 88(1993), 1242-1249. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1993.10476404
- E. L. Lehmann, Fisher, Neyman, and the Creation of Classical Statistics, Springer, 2011.
- M. S. Morgan, The History of Econometric Ideas, Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- D. E. Morrison and R. E. Henkel, The Significance Test Controversy: A Reader, Aldine Publishing, 1970.
- J. Neyman,"Inductive Behavior as a Basic Concept of Philosophy of Science", Revue de l'Institut International de Statistique 25(1957), 7-22. https://doi.org/10.2307/1401671
- J. Neyman, The Emergence of Mathematical Statistics, On The History Of Statistics And Probability(edited by D. B. Owen), Marcel Dekker, 1976, 147-193.
- M. W. Oakes, Statistical Inference: A Commentary for the Social and Behavioural Sciences, Wiley, 1986.
- D. B. Owen, On the History of Statistics and Probability, Dekker, 1976.
- T. M. Porter, The Rise of Statistical Thinking: 1820-1900, Princeton University Press, 1986.
- R. M. Royall, Statistical Evidence: Likelihood Paradigm, Chapman & Hall/CRC, 1997.
- W. W. Rozeboom,"The Fallacy of the Null-Hypothesis Significance Test", Psychological Bulletin 57(1960), 416-428. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0042040
- D. Salsburg, The Lady Tasting Tea, (Korean translation by Joong Yang Park), Freedom Academy, 2012. D. 살스버그,통계학의 피카소는 누구일까—20세기 과학혁명을 이끈 통계학 영웅들의 이야기, 박중양 옮김, 자유아카데미, 2011.
- L. J. Savage,"The Foundations of Statistics Reconsidered", Proceedings of the Fourth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, Vol. 1, University of California Press, 1961, 575-586.
- S. M. Stigler, The History of Statistics, (Korean translation by Jae Keun Jo), Hangilsa, 2005. S. M. 스티글러,통계학의 역사, 조재근 옮김, 한길사, 2005.
- M. L. Taper and S. R. Lele, The Nature of Scientific Evidence: Statistical, Philosophical, and Empirical Considerations, Chicago University Press, 2004.
- S. T. Ziliak and D. N. McCloskey, The Cult of Statistical Significance: How the Standard Error Costs Us Jobs, Justice, and Lives, University of Michigan Press, 2008.