- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Integrated AHP-VIKOR Methodology for Facility Layout Design
- Shokri, Hamidreza (Industrial engineering Department, Tafresh University) ;
- Ashjari, Behzad (Industrial engineering Department, Tafresh University) ;
- Saberi, Morteza (Industrial engineering Department, Tafresh University) ;
- Yoon, Jin Hee (School of Economics, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2013.05.05
- Accepted : 2013.11.16
- Published : 2013.12.31
A facility layout design (FLD) problem can be generally introduced as assignment of facilities (departments) to a site such that a set of criteria are satisfied or some objectives are minimized (maximized). Hence, it can be considered as a multi-criteria problem due to the presence of qualitative criteria such as maintenance or flexibility and quantitative criteria such as the total cost of handling material. The VIKOR method was developed to solve multiple criteria decision making problems with conflicting and non-commensurable (different units) criteria, assuming that compromising is acceptable for conflict resolution, the decision maker wants a solution that is the closest to the ideal, and the alternatives are evaluated according to all established criteria. This paper proposes a hierarchical analytic hierarchy process (AHP) and VIKOR approach to solve the FLD problem. A computer-aided layout-planning tool is adopted to generate the facility layout problems, as well as their quantitative data. The qualitative performance measures are weighted by AHP. VIKOR is then used to solve the FLD problem. Finally, the proposed integrated procedure is applied to three real-time examples.
- Abdou, G. and Dutta, S. P. (1990), An integrated approach to facilities layout using expert systems, International Journal of Production Research, 28(4), 685-708. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207549008942749
- Aiello, G., Enea, M., and Galante, G. (2006), A multiobjective approach to facility layout problem by genetic search algorithm and Electre method, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 22 (5/6), 447-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2005.11.002
- Albayrak, E. and Erensal, Y. C. (2004), Using analytic hierarchy process (AHP) to improve human performance: an application of multiple criteria decision making problem, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 15(4), 491-503. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JIMS.0000034112.00652.4c
- Armour, G. C. and Buffa, E. S. (1963), A heuristic algorithm and simulation approach to relative location of facilities, Management Science, 9(2), 294-309. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.9.2.294
- Askin, R. G. (1986), A formulation of the integrated facility layout, product selection and process planning problem, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 5(4), 267-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-6125(86)90057-9
- Badiru, A. B. and Arif, A. (1996), FLEXPERT: facility layout expert system using fuzzy linguistic relationship codes, IIE Transactions, 28(4), 295-308. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408179608966277
- Benson, B. and Foote, B. L. (1997), DoorFAST: a constructive procedure to optimally layout a facility including aisles and door locations based on an aisle flow distance metric, International Journal of Production Research, 35(7), 1825-1842. https://doi.org/10.1080/002075497194930
- Cambron, K. E. and Evans, G. W. (1991), Layout design using the analytic hierarchy process, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 20(2), 211-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-8352(91)90026-3
Castillo, I. and Westerlund, T. (2005), An
$\varepsilon$-accurate model for optimal unequal-area block layout design, Computers & Operations Research, 32(3), 429-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0548(03)00246-6
- Chakraborty, S. and Banik, B. (2007), An analytic hierarchy process (AHP) based approach for optimal facility layout design, Journal of the Institute of Engineers (India): Production Engineering Division, 88, 12-18.
- Chau, K. W. and Anson, M. (2002), A knowledge-based system for construction site level facilities layout. In: Developments in Applied Artificial Intelligence, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, 393-402.
- Chu, M. T., Shyu, J., Tzeng, G. H., and Khosla, R. (2007), Comparison among three analytical methods for knowledge communities group-decision analysis, Expert Systems with Applications, 33(4), 1011-1024.
- Chung, Y. K. (1999), A neuro-based expert system for facility layout construction, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 10(5), 359-385.
- Chwif, L., Barretto, M. R. P., and Moscato, L. A. (1998), A solution to the facility layout problem using simulated annealing, Computers in Industry, 36(1), 125-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-3615(97)00106-1
- Deb, S. K. and Bhattacharyya, B. (2003), Facilities layout planning based on fuzzy multiple criteria decision-making methodology, International Journal of Production Research, 41(18), 4487-4504. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540310001595837
- Deb, S. K. and Bhattacharyya, B. (2005), Fuzzy decision support system for manufacturing facilities layout planning, Decision Support Systems, 40(2), 305-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2003.12.007
- Dorigo, M., Maniezzo, V., and Colorni, A. (1996), Ant system: optimization by a colony of cooperating agents, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, 26(1), 29-41. https://doi.org/10.1109/3477.484436
- Dunker, T., Radons, G., and Westkamper, E. (2005), Combining evolutionary computation and dynamic programming for solving a dynamic facility layout problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 165(1), 55-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2003.01.002
- Dutta, K. N. and Sahu, S. (1982), A multigoal heuristic for facilities design problems: MUGHAL, International Journal of Production Research, 20(2), 147-154. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207548208947756
- Dweiri, F. (1999), Fuzzy development of crisp activity relationship charts for facilities layout, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 36(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(98)00102-8
- Ertay, T., Ruan, D., and Tuzkaya, U. R. (2006), Integrating data envelopment analysis and analytic hierarchy for the facility layout design in manufacturing systems, Information Sciences, 176(3), 237-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2004.12.001
- Gambardella, L. M. and Dorigo, M. (1997), HAS-SOP: hybrid ant system for the sequential ordering problem, Technical Report IDSIA 11-97, Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale (IDSIA), Manno-Lugano, Switzerland.
- Gonzalez-Cruz, M. C. and Gomez-Senent Martinez, E. (2011), An entropy-based algorithm to solve the facility layout design problem, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 27(1), 88-100.
- Grobelny, J. (1987), On one possible fuzzy approach to facilities layout problems, International Journal of Production Research, 25(8), 1123-1141.
- Hadi-Vencheh, A. and Mohamadghasemi, A. (2013), An integrated AHP-NLP methodology for facility layout design, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 32 (1), 40-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2012.07.009
- Harmonosky, C. M. and Tothero, G. K. (1992), A multifactor plant layout methodology, International Journal of Production Research, 30(8), 1773-1789. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207549208948121
- Houshyar, A. and White, B. (1993), Exact optimal solution for facility layout: deciding which pairs of locations should be adjacent, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 24(2), 177-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-8352(93)90006-J
- Imam, M. H. and Mir, M. (1998), Cluster boundary search algorithm for building-block layout optimization, Advances in Engineering Software, 29(2), 165-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(98)00056-8
- Karray, F., Zaneldin, E., Hegazy, T., Shabeeb, A. H., and Elbeltagi, E. (2000), Tools of soft computing as applied to the problem of facilities layout planning, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 8(4), 367-379. https://doi.org/10.1109/91.868944
- Ku, M. Y., Hu, M. H., and Wang, M. J. (2011), Simulated annealing based parallel genetic algorithm for facility layout problem, International Journal of Production Research, 49(6), 1801-1812. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207541003645789
- Kuo, Y., Yang, T., and Huang, G. W. (2008), The use of grey relational analysis in solving multiple attribute decision-making problems, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 55(1), 80-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2007.12.002
- Lee, R. C. and Moore, J. M. (1967). CORELAP-computerized relationship layout planning, Journal of Industrial Engineering, 18(3), 195-200.
- Lee, Y. H. and Lee, M. H. (2002), A shape-based block layout approach to facility layout problems using hybrid genetic algorithm, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 42(2), 237-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(02)00018-9
- Lin, L. C. and Sharp, G. P. (1999), Quantitative and qualitative indices for the plant layout evaluation problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 116(1), 100-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(98)00046-0
- Maniezzo, V. (1999), Exact and approximate nondeterministic tree-search procedures for the quadratic assignment problem, INFORMS Journal on Computing, 11(4), 358-369. https://doi.org/10.1287/ijoc.11.4.358
- Maniya, K. D. and Bhatt, M. G. (2011), An alternative multiple attribute decision making methodology for solving optimal facility layout design selection problems, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 61 (3), 542-549. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2011.04.009
- McKendall, A. R. and Hakobyan, A. (2010), Heuristics for the dynamic facility layout problem with unequal-area departments, European Journal of Operational Research, 201(1), 171-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2009.02.028
- Meller, R. D. and Gau, K. Y. (1996), The facility layout problem: recent and emerging trends and perspectives, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 15(5), 351-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-6125(96)84198-7
- Mir, M. and Imam, M. H. (2001), A hybrid optimization approach for layout design of unequal-area facilities, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 39(1), 49-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(00)00065-6
- Mohamadghasemi, A. and Hadi-Vencheh, A. (2012), An integrated synthetic value of fuzzy judgments and nonlinear programming methodology for ranking the facility layout patterns, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 62(1), 342-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2011.10.004
- Opricovic, S. (1998), Multicriteria optimization of civil engineering systems, Faculty of Civil Engineering, University of Belgrade, Serbia
- Opricovic, S. and Tzeng, G. H. (2002), Multicriteria planning of post-earthquake sustainable reconstruction. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 17(3), 211-220. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8667.00269
- Opricovic, S. and Tzeng, G. H. (2004), Compromise solution by MCDM methods: a comparative analysis of VIKOR and TOPSIS, European Journal of Operational Research, 156(2), 445-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(03)00020-1
- Opricovic, S. and Tzeng, G. H. (2007), Extended VIKOR method in comparison with outranking methods, European Journal of Operational Research, 178(2), 514-529. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.01.020
- Partovi, F. Y. and Hopton, W. E. (1994), The analytic hierarchy process as applied to two types of inventory problems, Production and Inventory Management Journal, 35(1), 13.
- Rao, R. (2012), Weighted Euclidean distance based approach as a multiple attribute decision making method for plant or facility layout design selection, International Journal of Industrial Engineering Computations, 3(3), 365-382. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.ijiec.2012.01.003
- Raoot, A. D. and Rakshit, A. (1991), A 'fuzzy' approach to facilities lay-out planning, International Journal of Production Research, 29(4), 835-857. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207549108930105
- Rosenblatt, M. J. (1979), The facilities layout problem: a multi-goal approach, International Journal of Production Research, 17(4), 323-332. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207547908919617
- Saaty, T. L. (1980), The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning, Priority Setting, Resource Allocation, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY.
- Shang, J. S. (1993), Multicriteria facility layout problem: an integrated approach, European Journal of Operational Research, 66(3), 291-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(93)90218-C
- Taghavi, A. and Murat, A. (2011), A heuristic procedure for the integrated facility layout design and flow assignment problem, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 61(1), 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2011.02.011
- Taillard, E. D. and Gambardella, L. M. (1997), Adaptive memories for the quadratic assignment problem, Technical Report IDSIA 87-97, Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale (IDSIA), Manno-Lugano, Switzerland.
- Tretheway, S. J. and Foote, B. L. (1994), Automatic computation and drawing of facility layouts with logical aisle structures, International Journal of Production Research, 32(7), 1545-1555. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207549408957021
- Turban, E. (1990), Decision Support and Expert Systems: Management Support Systems, Macmillan, New York, NY.
- Ulutas, B. H. and Islier, A. A. (2009), A clonal selection algorithm for dynamic facility layout problems, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 28(4), 123-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2010.06.002
- Voogd H. (1983), Multicriteria Evaluation for Urban and Regional Planning, Pion Ltd., London.
- Wang, M. J., Hu, M. H., and Ku, M. Y. (2005), A solution to the unequal area facilities layout problem by genetic algorithm, Computers in Industry, 56(2), 207-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compind.2004.06.003
- Yaman, R. and Balibek, E. (1999), Decision making for facility layout problem solutions, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 37(1), 319-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(99)00083-2
- Yang, T. and Hung, C. C. (2007), Multiple-attribute decision making methods for plant layout design problem, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 23(1), 126-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2005.12.002
- Yang, T. and Kuo, C. (2003), A hierarchical AHP/DEA methodology for the facilities layout design problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 147(1), 128-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(02)00251-5
- Yeh, C. H. (2002), A problem-based selection of multiattribute decision-making methods, International Transactions in Operational Research, 9(2), 169-181. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-3995.00348
- Yu, P. L. (1973), A class of solutions for group decision problems, Management Science, 19(8), 936-946. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.19.8.936
- Zzkarian, A. and Kusiak, A. (1999), Forming teams: an analytical approach, IIE Transactions, 31(1), 85-97.
- A new holistic conceptual framework for layout performance assessment pp.1741-038X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/JMTM-03-2018-0086