- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Stress and Sense of Coherence on Health Behavior Compliance in Outpatients with Stroke
뇌졸중 환자의 스트레스와 통합성이 건강행위 이행에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Won Joo (Ulsan University Hospital) ;
- Lee, Ji Won (College of Nursing, Catholic University of Pusan)
- Received : 2019.09.17
- Accepted : 2020.01.03
- Published : 2020.01.31
The purpose of this study was to identify the effect of stress and sense of coherence on health behavior compliance in patients with stroke. The subjects were 124 outpatients with stroke at a general hospital in Ulsan from May to July, 2019. The data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, one-way ANOVA, Scheffé test, Pearson's correlation coefficient and hierarchical multiple regression analysis by using SPSS 25.0. In the results, the health behavior compliance showed a significantly positive correlation with sense of coherence(r=.71, p<.001) and a negative correlation with stress(r=-.53, p<.001). The predictors of model 1 were gender(t=4.07, p<.001), education level(t=4.18, p<.001), and monthly income(t=-2.34, p=.021) and the statistical power was 39.6%. The predictors of model 2 were gender(t=4.65, p<.001), education level(t=43.24, p<.001), and sense of coherence(t=4.33, p<.001) and the statistical power was 60.4%. Thus, a nursing intervention program which is focused on a sense of coherence could promote health behavior compliance in patients with stroke.
- K. Jaracz, B. Grabowska-Fudala, K. Gorna, W. Kozubski, "Caregiving burden and its determinants in Polish caregivers of stroke survivors" Archives of Medical Science. Vol.10, No.5, pp.941-50, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5114/aoms.2014.46214
- H. Y. Shin, J. H. Lee, J. H. Song, S. M. Lee, J. H. Lee, B. S. Lim, H. R. Kim, S. Huh, "Cause-of-death statistics in the Republic of Korea, 2014", Journal of the Korean Medical Assocciation, Vol.59, No,3, pp.221-232, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2016.59.3.221
- H. G. Kim, K. J. Oh, "Post Stroke Depression A review on it's prevalence, course and relation to lesion location" Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol.15, No.1, pp.217-234, 1996.
- A. Franco, A. A. Vita, F. Nicoletta, "The influence of depression, social activity and family stress on functional outcome after stroke" Stroke, Vol.24, No.10, pp.1478-1483, 1993. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.24.10.1478
- K. S. Choi, S. W. Han, S. U. Kwon & J. S. Kim, "Post stroke fatigue characteristics and related factors" Cerebrovascular Disease, Vol.19, No. 2, pp.84-90, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000082784
- R. S. Lazarus, Folkman, S. Stress, Appraisal, and Coping. New York: Springer, 1984.
- M. Binkowska-Bury, P. Januszewicz, "Sense of coherence and health-related behaviour among university students-a questionnaire survey", Central European Journal of Public Health, Vol.18, No.3, pp.145-150, 2010.
- M. Eriksson, B. Lindstrom, "A salutogenic interpretation of the Ottawa charter", Health Promotion International, Vol.23, No.2, pp.190-199, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/dan014
- A. Antonovsky. Unraveling the mystery of health : how people manage stress and stay well. p. 1-218, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1987.
- A. Antonovsky, "The structure and properties of the sense of coherence scale", Social Science & Medicine, Vol.36, No.6, pp.725-733, 1993. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(93)90033-Z
- N. Y. Kim, Y. H. Choi. "The Development and Effects of a Salutogenic Program for Married Immigrant Women" The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol.10, No.4, pp.197-212, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.4.197
- I. S. Suh, A study on the sense of coherence and compliance in patients with diabetes mellitus, Master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, 2002.
- U. Lindmark, B. Stegmayr, B. Nilsson, B. Lindahl, I. Johansson. "Food selection associated with sense of coherence in adults", Nutrition Journal, Vol.4, No.9, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-4-9
- K. S. Kim, S. M. Choi, "Influence of nurses' sense of coherence on their stress and quality of life" Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol.17, No.4, pp.493-507, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.493
- T. Haoka, S. Sasahara, Y. Tomotsune, S. Yoshino, T. Maeno, I. Matsuzaki, "The effect of stress-related factors on mental health status among resident doctors in Japan", Medical Education, Vol.44, No.8, pp.826-834. 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2010.03725.x
- K. S. Kim, "Influence of Nurses' Sense of Coherence on Their Stress and Quality of Life", Journal of Korean Academy of nursing Administration, Vol.17, No.4, pp.493-507. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.493
- J. M. Yun, The Effect of Sense of Coherence Enhancement Program Based on Salutogenesis for Elderly with Metabolic Syndrome. Ph.D dissertation, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea, 2018.
- B. Neuman, The Neuman Systems Model: Application to nursing education and practice. Norwalk, C. T. Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1982.
- K. S. Kim, A study of stress and depression in stroke patients: relationship to ADL, Master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, 1995.
- O. J. Park, "The effect of social support on compliance with sick-role behaviors in hypertensive clients", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.9, No.2, pp.175-188. 1997.
- M. H. Kim, "Conceptual approach to compliance of health behavior" Korean Journal of health education and promotion, Vol.23, No.1, pp.125-141. 2006.
- S. M. Kang, An effect of the secondary stroke prevention education program on self-care of acute ischemic stroke patients. Master's thesis, Konkuk University, Chungju, Korea, 2005.
- C. G. Kim, H. A. Park, "Development and evaluation of a web-based education program to prevent secondary stroke" J Korean Acad Nurs, Vol.41 No.1, pp.47-60, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.47
- K. S. Kim, S. I. Chun, H. C. Oh, J. B. Shin, "A study of stress and depression in stroke patients: relationship to ADL", Korean Society Of Occupational Therapy, Vol.3, No.1, pp.3-20. 1995.
- M. Y. Ham, An effects of individualized early rehabilitation education program for patients acute ischemic Cerebrovascular Disease, Ph. D dissertation, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, 2001.
- K. L. Koenig, E. M. Whyte, M. C. Munin, L. O'Donnell, E. R. Skidmore, L. E. Penrod, E. J. Lenze, "Stroke-related knowledge and health behaviors among post stroke patients in inpatient rehabilitation", Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Vol.88, No.9, pp.1214-6. 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2007.05.024
- R. Ji, G. Liu, H. Shen, Y. Wang, H. Li, E. Peterson, Y. Wang, "Persistence of secondary prevention medications after acute ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack in Chinese population: Data from China National Stroke Registry" Neurological Research, Vol.35, No.1, pp.29-36. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/1743132812Y.0000000107
- J. Y. Lee, H. S. Kim, "Influences of social support, self-esteem and motivation for rehabilitation on the activities of daily living in stroke patients", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol.20, No.2, pp.145-153. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2014.20.2.145
- E. J. Kim, "The effect of physical and psychological and social factors on health promotion behavior among the stroke patients", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.12, pp.8525-8534, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8525
- N. W. Wainwright, P. G. Surtees, A. A. Welch, R. N. Luben, K. T. Khaw, S. A. Bingham, "Healthy lifestyle choices: Could sense of coherence aid health promotion?", Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, Vol.61, No.10, pp. 871-876, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2006.056275
- E. Y. Jung, S. K. Hwang, "Health literacy and health behavior compliance in patients with coronary artery disease", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.27, No.3, pp.251-261, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.3.251
- Y. O. Choi, J. H. Lee, "Impact of stroke knowledge, fear of recurrence on health behavior in patients with ischemic stroke", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.29, No.3, pp.302-312, 2017.
- M. S. Ko, K. J. Kang, "Influence of health literacy and health empowerment on health behavior practice in elderly outpatients with coronary artery disease", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.24, No.3, 293-302, 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2018.24.3.293 https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2018.24.3.293
- E. J. Kim, "The effect of physical and psychological, and social factors on health promotion behavior among the stroke patients", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.12, pp.8525-8534, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8525