- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A study on the MD&A Disclosure Quality in real-time calculated and provided By Programming Technology
- Shin, YeounOuk (Department of Business Administration, Mokpo National University)
- Received : 2019.05.26
- Accepted : 2019.06.07
- Published : 2019.08.31
The Management Discussion and Analysis(MD&A) provides investors with an opportunity to gain insight into the company from a manager's perspective and enables short-term and long-term analysis of the business. And MD&A is an important channel through which companies and investors can communicate, providing a useful source of information for analyzing financialstatements. MD&A is measured by the quality of disclosure and there are many previous studies on the usefulness of disclosure information. Therefore, it is very important for the financial analyst who is the representative information user group in the capital market that MD&A Disclosure Quality is measured in real-time in combination with IT information technology and provided timely to financial analyst. In this study, we propose a method that real-time data is converted to digitalized data by combining MD&A disclosure with IT information technology and provided to financial analyst's information environment in real-time. The real-time information provided by MD&A can help the financial analysts' activities and reduce information asymmetry.
- P. M. Healy and K. G. Palepu, “The Effect of Firms' Financial Disclosure Strategies on Stock Prices,” Accounting Horizons, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 1-11, Mar. 1993.
- D. Nichols, "The Handbook of Investor Relations," Homewood, IL: Dow Jones-Irwin, 1989.
- K. Shipper, “Analysts' forecasts,” Accounting Horizons, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 105-121, Dec 1991.
- J. R. Graham, C. R. Harvey, and S. Rajgopal, "The Economic Implications of Corporate Financial Reporting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 40, No. 1-3, pp. 3-73, Dec 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacceco.2005.01.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacceco.2005.01.002
- L. D. Brown, “A temporal Analysis of Earnings Surprises: Profits versus Losses,” Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 221-241, Sep. 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-679X.00010 https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-679X.00010
- P. Knutson, "Financial Reporting in the 1990's and beyond," Charlottesville, VA. NY: Association for Investment Management and Research, 1993.
- R. K. Rogers and J. Grant, "Content Analysis of Information Cited in ports of Sell-Side Financial Analysts," Journal of Financial Statement Analysis, Vol. 3, pp. 17-30, 1997.
- S. H. Bryan, “Incremental Information Content of Required Disclosures Contained in Management Discussion and Analysis,” The Accounting Review, Vol. 72, No. 2, pp. 285-301, Apr. 1997.
- P. M. Clarkson, J. L. Kao, and G. D. Richardson, “Evidence that Management Discussion and Analysis is a part of Firm’s Overall Disclosure Package,” Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 111-134, Spring 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1911-3846.1999.tb00576.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1911-3846.1999.tb00576.x
- O. E. Barron, C. O. Kile, and T. B. O'Keefe, “MD&A Quality as Measured by the SEC and Analysts' Earnings Forecasts,” Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 75-109, Spring 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1911-3846.1999.tb00575.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1911-3846.1999.tb00575.x
- F. Li, "The Information content of Forward-Looking Statements in Corporate Filings-A Naive Bayesian Machine Learnings Approach," Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 48, No. 5, pp. 1049-1102, Dec 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-679X.2010.00382.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-679X.2010.00382.x
- A. Y. Lee, S. H. Kim, and S. B. Chun, “The Disclosure Quality of Management Discussion and Analysis and the Firm’s Characteristics,” Korean Accounting Journal, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 175-201, Feb 2013.
- H. Y. Park and A. Y. Lee, “MD&A Disclosure Quality and the Accuracy of Management Forecasts,” Korean Accounting Research, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 185-210, 2016. https://doi.org/10.21737/kjar.2016.04.21.2.185
- E. Imhoff, and G. Lobo, “The Effect of Exante Earnings Uncertainty on Earnings Response Coefficients,” The Accounting Review, Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 427-439, Apr 1992. DOI: https://www.jstor.org/stable/247734