- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on 3D Data Performance in Mobile Web Browsers in 4G and 5G Environments
- Nam, Duckkyoun (Department of Holography 3D Contents, Kwangwoon University) ;
- Lee, Daehyeon (Graduate School of Smart Convergence, Kwangwoon University) ;
- Lee, Seunghyun (Ingenium College, Kwangwoon University) ;
- Kwon, Soonchul (Graduate School of Smart Convergence, Kwangwoon University)
- Received : 2019.05.09
- Accepted : 2019.05.17
- Published : 2019.08.31
Since their emergence in 2007, smart phones have advanced up to the point that 5G mobile communication in 2019 started to be commercialized. Accordingly, now it is possible to share 3D modeling files and collaborate by means of a mobile web. As the recently commercialized 5G mobile communication network is so useful in sharing 3D modeling files and collaborating that even large-size geometry files can be transmitted at ultra high speed with ultra low transfer delay. We examines characteristics of major 3D file formats such as STL, OBJ, FBX, and glTF and compares the existing 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) network with the 5G NR (New Radio) mobile communication network. The loading time and packets of each format were measured depending on the mobile web browser environments. We shows that in comparison with 4G LTE, the loading time of STL and OBJ file formats were reduced as much as 6.55 sec and 9.41 sec, respectively in the 5G NR and Chrome browsers. The glTF file format showed the most efficient performance in all of the 4G/5G mobile communication networks, Chrome, and Edge browsers. In the case of STL and OBJ, the traffic was relatively excessive in 5G NR and Edge browsers. The findings of this study are expected to be utilized to develop a 3D file format that reduces the loading time in a mobile web environment.
Supported by : Kwangwoon University
- Z. Zhao, K. He, and R. Du, "The Simulation of Scara Robot Based on OpenGL and STL," 2011 Second International Conference on Mechanic Automation and Control Engineering (SICMACE), pp. 5429-5432, Jul. 15-17, 2011. DOI: 10.1109/MACE.2011.5988251. https://doi.org/10.1109/MACE.2011.5988251
- Jahanzeb Hafeez, Seunghyun Lee, Soonchul Kwon, and Alaric Hamacher, “Image Based 3D Reconstruction of Texture-less Objects for VR Contents,” International Journal of Advanced Smart Convergence (IJASC), Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 9-17, Jun 2017. DOI: 10.7236/IJASC.2017.6.1.9. https://doi.org/10.7236/IJASC.2017.6.1.9
- Jongdeug Kim and Taehyun Jeon, “An Effective Solution for the Multimedia Telephony Services in Evolving Networks,” International Journal of Advanced Smart Convergence (IJASC), Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 24-26, Feb2013. DOI: 10.7236/IJASC.2013.2.1.024. https://doi.org/10.7236/IJASC.2013.2.1.024
- SKT to offer 500Mbps - Fastest speed by LTE so far, https://www.netmanias.com/en.
- Recommendation ITU-R M.2083-0, https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-M.2083-0-201509-I/en
- WebGL, https://webglfundamentals.org/webgl/lessons/webgl-fundamentals.html.
- M. Zhao and J. Zhang, "Rapidly Product and Optimize Facial Animation Methods for 3D Game," International Conference on Internet Computing in Science and Engineering (ICICSE), pp. 136-139, Jan. 28-29, 2008. DOI: 10.1109/ICICSE.2008.15.
- Geonhee Lee, Pyeong-ho Choi, Hwa-seop Han, Seunghyun Lee, and Soonchul Kwon, “A Study on the Performance Comparison of 3D File Formats on the Web,” International Journal of Advanced Smart Convergence (IJASC), Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 65-74, Mar 2019. DOI: doi.org/10.7236/IJASC.2019.8.1.65. https://doi.org/10.7236/IJASC.2019.8.1.65
- Geonhee Lee, Seunghyun Lee, and Soonchul Kwon, "A study on Compression of 3D Model Data and Optimization of Website," Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences (JEAS), Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 3934-3937, 2019. DOI: 10.3923/jeasci.2019.3934.3937.
- Adapted from TR23.799 v0.8.0, https://www.3gpp.org/DynaReport/23-series.htm
- Duckkyoun Nam, Daehyeon Lee, Seunghyun Lee, and Soonchul Kwon, “Performance Compression of 3D File Formats on a Mobile Web Brower,” International Journal of Broadcasting and Communication (IJIBC), Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 31-42, 2019. DOI:10.7236/IJIBC.2019.11.2.31
- P. H. Shroff and S. R. Chaudhary, "Critical Rendering Path Optimizations to Reduce the Web Page Loading Time," International Conference for Convergence in Technology (ICCT), pp. 937-940, Apr. 7-9, 2017. DOI: 10.1109/I2CT.2017.8226266.