- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Tissue Level Based Deep Learning Framework for Early Detection of Dysplasia in Oral Squamous Epithelium
- Gupta, Rachit Kumar (Department of Computer Science and IT, University of Jammu) ;
- Kaur, Mandeep (Department of Oral Pathology, Indira Gandhi Govt. Dental College) ;
- Manhas, Jatinder (Department of Computer Science & IT, Bhaderwah Campus, University of Jammu)
- Received : 2019.04.30
- Accepted : 2019.06.05
- Published : 2019.06.30
Deep learning is emerging as one of the best tool in processing data related to medical imaging. In our research work, we have proposed a deep learning based framework CNN (Convolutional Neural Network) for the classification of dysplastic tissue images. The CNN has classified the given images into 4 different classes namely normal tissue, mild dysplastic tissue, moderate dysplastic tissue and severe dysplastic tissue. The dataset under taken for the study consists of 672 tissue images of epithelial squamous layer of oral cavity captured out of the biopsy samples of 52 patients. After applying the data pre-processing and augmentation on the given dataset, 2688 images were created. Further, these 2688 images were classified into 4 categories with the help of expert Oral Pathologist. The classified data was supplied to the convolutional neural network for training and testing of the proposed framework. It has been observed that training data shows 91.65% accuracy whereas the testing data achieves 89.3% accuracy. The results produced by our proposed framework are also tested and validated by comparing the manual results produced by the medical experts working in this area.
oral cancer;oral epithelial tissue;oral dysplasia;deep learning
- Yoshiko Ariji, Motoki Fukuda, Yoshitaka Kise, Michihito Nozawa, Yudai Yanashita, Hiroshi Fujita, Akitoshi Katsumata, Eiichiro Ariji, "Contrast-enhanced computed tomography image assessment of cervical lymph node metastasis in patients with oral cancer by using a deep learning system of artificial intelligence", Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology , 2018
- Gnananandar G, Masthan K, Babu A. N, Jacobina J.," Histomorphometric Analysis of oral Epithelial Dysplasia and oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma". Biomed Pharmacology Journal, 2017
- Dena J. Fischer, Joel B. Epstein, Thomas H. Morton, Stephen M. Schwartz," Interobserver reliability in the histopathologic diagnosis of oral pre-malignant and malignant lesions", Journal of Oral Pathology Medicine, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 65-70, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2004.0037n.x
- Barnes L, Eveson JW, Reichart P, Sidransky D, editors. "WHO classification of tumours: pathology and genetics of head and neck tumours". Lyon: ARC Press; 2005.
- S. Warnakulasuriya, "Histological grading of oral epithelial dysplasia: revisited". Journal of Pathology. pp. 294-297, 2001.
- Hong D. Xiao, Carlo B. Bifulco, "Cellular and Molecular Pathology, Oral, Head and Neck Oncology and Reconstructive Surgery", Elsevier, pp. 57-78, 2018.
- Zilong Hu , Jinshan Tang , Ziming Wang , Kai Zhang , Lin Zhang , Qingling Sun , "Deep Learning for Image-based Cancer Detection and Diagnosis A Survey", Pattern Recognition 2018.
- Y. LeCun, Y. Bengio, G. Hinton, "Deep learning", Nature, Vol. 521, pp. 436-444, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature14539
- G. Forslid; Håkan Wieslander; Ewert Bengtsson; Carolina Wählby; Jan-Michael Hirsch; Christina Runow Stark; Sajith Kecheril Sadanandan, "Deep Convolutional Neural Networks For Detecting Cellular Changes Due To Malignancy". IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (ICCVW), Venice, pp. 82-89, 2017.
- G. Litjens, Clara I. Sanchez, Nadya Timofeeva, Meyke Hermsen, Iris Nagtegaal, Iringo Kovacs, Christina Hulsbergen - van de Kaa, Peter Bult, Bram van Ginneken & Jeroen van der Laak, "Deep learning as a tool for increased accuracy and efficiency of Histopathological diagnosis", Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, pp. 262-86, 2016.
- A. Albayrak, G. Bilgin, "Mitosis detection using convolutional neural network based features", IEEE 17th International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Informatics (CINTI), pp. 335-340, 2017.
- A. Krizhevsky, I. Sutskever, G.E. Hinton, "Imagenet classification with deep convolutional neural networks", Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 1097-1105, 2012.
- A. Iyer, A. Vyshnavi, M. Hima, P. K. Namboori, Krishnan, "Deep Convolution Network-Based Prediction Model For Medical Diagnosis Of Lung Cancer - A Deep Pharmacogenomic Approach: deep diagnosis for lung cancer," Second International Conference on Advances in Electronics, Computers and Communications, pp.1-4, 2018.
- Bassma El-Sherbiny, Nardeen Nabil, Youssef Emad, Nada Ayman, Taraggy Mohiy, Ashraf Abdel Raouf, "BLB (Brain/Lung cancer detection and segmentation and Breast Dense calculation)," First International Workshop on Deep and Representation Learning (IWDRL), Cairo, pp. 41-47, 2018.
- H. Chen, Q. Dou, X. Wang, J. Qin, P.-A. Heng, "Mitosis Detection in Breast Cancer Histology Images via Deep Cascaded Networks", AAAI, pp. 1160-1166, 2016.
- Ida Arvidsson, Niels Christian Overgaard, Felicia-Elena Marginean, Agnieszka Krzyzanowska, Anders Bjartell, Kalle Åstrom, Anders Heyden, "Generalization of prostate cancer classification for multiple sites using deep learning", IEEE 15th International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, Washington, DC, pp. 191-194, 2018.
- S. Albarqouni, C. Baur, F. Achilles, V. Belagiannis, S. Demirci, N. Navab, "Aggnet: deep learning from crowds for mitosis detection in breast cancer histology images", IEEE transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 35, pp. 1313-1321, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMI.2016.2528120
- Sawon Pratiher, Shubhobrata Bhattacharya, Sabyasachi Mukhopadhyay, Nirmalya Ghosh, Gautham Pasupuleti, Prasanta K. Panigrahi, "Deep features using a convolutional neural network for early-stage cancer detection" Proceedings Volume 10679, Optics, Photonics, and Digital Technologies for Imaging Applications Vol. 1067902, 2018.
- I. Wichakam, P. Vateekul, "Combining deep convolutional networks and SVMs for mass detection on digital mammograms", 8th International Conference on Knowledge and Smart Technology (KST), IEEE, pp.239-244, (2016).
- J. Xu, L. Xiang, R. Hang, J. Wu, "Stacked Sparse Autoencoder (SSAE) based framework for nuclei patch classification on breast cancer histopathology", 2014 IEEE 11th International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, IEEE, pp. 999-1002, 2014.
- T. Xia, A. Kumar, D. Feng and J. Kim, "Patchlevel Tumor Classification in Digital Histopathology Images with Domain Adapted Deep Learning," 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Honolulu, HI, pp. 644-647, 2018.
- M. Khoshdeli, A. Borowsky and B. Parvin, "Deep Learning Models Differentiate Tumor Grades from H&E Stained Histology Sections," 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Honolulu, HI, pp. 620-623, 2018.
- Y. Xu, Z. Jia, L. B. Wang, Y. Ai, F. Zhang, M. Lai, E. I. Chang, "Large scale tissue histopathology image classification, segmentation, and visualization via deep convolutional activation features," BMC Bioinformatics, Vol. 18, No. 1, p. 281, 2016.