- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Plant Species Identification based on Plant Leaf Using Computer Vision and Machine Learning Techniques
- Kaur, Surleen (Department of Computer Engineering and Technology (CET), Guru Nanak dev University) ;
- Kaur, Prabhpreet (Department of CET, Guru Nanak dev University)
- Received : 2019.04.30
- Accepted : 2019.05.16
- Published : 2019.06.30
Plants are very crucial for life on Earth. There is a wide variety of plant species available, and the number is increasing every year. Species knowledge is a necessity of various groups of society like foresters, farmers, environmentalists, educators for different work areas. This makes species identification an interdisciplinary interest. This, however, requires expert knowledge and becomes a tedious and challenging task for the non-experts who have very little or no knowledge of the typical botanical terms. However, the advancements in the fields of machine learning and computer vision can help make this task comparatively easier. There is still not a system so developed that can identify all the plant species, but some efforts have been made. In this study, we also have made such an attempt. Plant identification usually involves four steps, i.e. image acquisition, pre-processing, feature extraction, and classification. In this study, images from Swedish leaf dataset have been used, which contains 1,125 images of 15 different species. This is followed by pre-processing using Gaussian filtering mechanism and then texture and color features have been extracted. Finally, classification has been done using Multiclass-support vector machine, which achieved accuracy of nearly 93.26%, which we aim to enhance further.
Feature Extraction;Plant Species Identification;Segmentation;SVM
- J. Waldchen, M. Rzanny, M. Seeland, P. Mader, "Automated plant species identification-Trends and future directions," PLoS computational biology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1-19, 2018.
- D. Shreya, "How many plant species are there in the world? Scientists now have an answer," MONGABAY NEWS AND INSPIRATION FROM NATURE'S FRONTLINE, May 12, 2016, news.mongabay.com/2016/05/many-plants-world-scientists-may-now-answer/
- S. G. Wu, F. S. Bao, E. Y. Xu, Y.-X. Wang, Y.-F. Chang, Q.-L. Xiang, "A leaf recognition algorithm for plant classification using probabilistic neural network," In Proceedings of 2007 IEEE International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology, pp. 11-16, 2007.
- N. Valliammal, S. N. Geethalakshmi, "Automatic recognition system using preferential image segmentation for leaf and flower images," Computer Science & Engineering, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 13-25, 2011.
- N. Kumar, P. N. Belhumeur, A. Biswas, D. W. Jacobs, W. J. Kress, I. Lopez, J. V. B. Soares, "Leafsnap: A computer vision system for automatic plant species identification," In Proceedings of European Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 502-516, 2012.
- J. Hossain, M. A. Amin, "Leaf shape identification- based plant biometrics," In Proceedings of 13th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT), pp. 458-463, 2010.
- Z. Wang, B. Lu, Z. Chi, D. Feng, "Leaf image classification with shape context and sift descriptors," In Proceedings of 2011 International Conference on Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications, pp. 650-654, 2011.
- C. A. Priya, T. Balasaravanan, A. S. Thanamani. "An efficient leaf recognition algorithm for plant classification using support vector machine," In Proceedings of International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Informatics and Medical Engineering (PRIME-2012), pp. 428-432, 2012.
- N.-H. Pham, T.-L. Le, P. Grard, V.-N. Nguyen, "Computer aided plant identification system," In Proceedings of 2013 International Conference on Computing, Management and Telecommunications (ComManTel), pp. 134-139, 2013.
- S. Mouine, I. Yahiaoui, A. Verroust-Blondet, "A shape-based approach for leaf classification using multiscale triangular representation," In Proceedings of the 3rd ACM conference on International conference on multimedia retrieval, pp. 127-134, 2013.
- Z. Wang, X. Sun, Y. Ma, H. Zhang, Y. Ma, W. Xie, Z. Wang, Y. Zhang, "Plant recognition based on intersecting cortical model," In Proceedings of 2014 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 975-980, 2014.
- S. H. Lee, C. S. Chan, P. Wilkin, P. Remagnino, "Deep-plant: Plant identification with convolutional neural networks," in Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 452-456, 2015.
- J. Waldchen, P. Mader, "Plant species identification using computer vision techniques: A systematic literature review," Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 507-543, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11831-016-9206-z
- M. A. J. Ghasab, S. Khamis, F. Mohammad, H. J. Fariman, "Feature decision-making ant colony optimization system for an automated recognition of plant species," Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 42, no.5, pp. 2361-2370, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2014.11.011
- A. Aakif, M. F. Khan, "Automatic classification of plants based on their leaves," Biosystems Engineering, vol. 139, pp. 66-75, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2015.08.003
- N. Ahmed, U. G. Khan, S. Asif, "An Automatic Leaf Based Plant Identification System," Science International, vol. 28, no.1, pp. 427-434, 2016.
- A. Begue, V. Kowlessur, F. Mahomoodally, U. Singh, S. Pudaruth, "Automatic recognition of medicinal plants using machine learning techniques," Int. J. Adv. Comput. Sci. Appl, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 166-175, 2017.
- M. M. Amlekar, A. T. Gaikwad, "Plant Classification Using Image Processing and Neural Network," Data Management, Analytics and Innovation, vol. 839, pp. 375-384, 2018.
- O. J. O. Soderkvist, "Computer vision classifcation of leaves from swedish trees," Master's Thesis, Linkoping University, Department of Electrical Engineering, Sweden, 2001.
- V. Satti, A. Satya, S. Sharma. "An automatic leaf recognition system for plant identification using machine vision technology," International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (IJEST), vol. 5, no. 4 pp. 874-879, 2013.
- D. J. Bora, "Importance of image enhancement techniques in color image segmentation: a comprehensive and comparative study," arXiv preprint arXiv:1708.05081, 2017.
- imadjust, https://in.mathworks.com/help/images/ref/imadjust.html
- R. Pichumani, "Segmentation," July 1997, http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CVonline/LOCAL_COPIES/RAMANI1/node18.html
- Image segmentation techniques, http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/50846/10/10_chapter%203.pdf
- P. Mohanaiah, P. Sathyanarayana, L. GuruKumar, "Image texture feature extraction using GLCM approach," International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 1-5, 2013.
- Texture Feature Extraction, http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/24460/9/09_chapter4.pdf
- Using a Gray-Level Co-Occurrence Matrix (GLCM), http://matlab.izmiran.ru/help/toolbox/images/enhanc15.html
- R. M. Haralick, "Statistical and structural approaches to texture," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 786-804, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1979.11328
- R. O. Duda, P. E. Hart, D. G. Stork, Pattern classification and scene analysis. New York: Wiley, 1973.
- B. E. Boser, I. M. Guyon, V. N. Vapnik, "A training algorithm for optimal margin classifiers," In Proceedings of the fifth annual workshop on Computational learning theory, pp. 144-152, 1992.
- V. Jakkula, "Tutorial on support vector machine (svm)," School of EECS, Washington State University, 2006.
- M. K. Satya, N.K.K. Rao, K.K. Raju, G.P.S. Varma, "Pixel-based classification using support vector machine classifier," In Proceedings of 2016 IEEE 6th International Conference on Advanced Computing (IACC), pp. 51-55, 2016.
- F. F. Chamasemani, Y. P. Singh, "Multi-class support vector machine (SVM) classifiers an application in hypothyroid detection and classification," In Proceedings of 2011 Sixth International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing: Theories and Applications, pp. 351-356, 2011.
- Noah Keen, "Color Moments" February 2005; http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CVonline/LOCAL_COPIES/AV0405/KEEN/av_as2_nkeen.pdf