- Volume 34 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Virulence Phenotyping and Molecular Characterization of a New Virulence Type of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis the Causal Agent of Tan Spot
- Benslimane, Hamida (Ecole Nationale Superieure d'Agronomie, Departement de Botanique)
- Received : 2017.07.13
- Accepted : 2017.12.11
- Published : 2018.04.01
Pyrenophoratritici-repentis is the causal agent of tan spot. According to their ability to produce necrosis and/or chlorosis on a set of four differential bread wheats, the isolates of this fungus are currently grouped into eight races. When durum wheat genotypes were added to the differential set, a new virulence type was identified in Algeria. The isolates showing this virulence pattern are unable to attack bread wheat while they cause necrosis in durum genotypes. In this work, characterization of those isolates was based on pathological and molecular aspects. This included inoculation of bread and durum wheat, and virulence gene analysis using PCR and sequencing. The results showed that all isolates caused a resistance on all bread wheats of the differential set, while they produced necrosis in durum. ToxA and ToxB genes were amplified in all isolates, whereas toxb was absent. Sequence analysis for both genes showed no differences with those found in the two functional genes. The presence of two genes, ToxA and ToxB, despite the absence of symptoms usually caused by their products, suggests the existence of a new homologous for these two genes yet unknown. The presence of ToxA in the isolate unable to produce necrosis in Glenlea is reported for the first time.
- Amaike, S., Ozga, J. A., Basu, U. and Strelkov, S. E. 2008. Quantification of ToxB gene expression and formation of appressoria by isolates of Pyrenophora tritici- repentis differing in pathogenecity. Plant Pathol. 57:623-633. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3059.2007.01821.x
- Andrie, R. M., Pandelova, I. and Ciuffetti, L. M. 2007. A combination of phenotypic and genotypic characterization strengthens Pyrenophora tritici-repentis race identification. Phytopathology 97:694-701. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-97-6-0694
- Ballance, G. M., Lamari, L., Kowatsch, C. C. and Bernier, C. C. 1996. Cloning, expression and occurrence of the gene encoding the Ptr necrosis toxin from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Molecular Plant Pathology On-Line 1209ballance.
- Benslimane, H., Lababidi, S., Yahyaoui, A., Ogbonnaya, F., Bouzna, Z. and Baum, M. 2013. Genetic diversity of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis in Algeria as revealed by amplified fragement length polymorphism (AFLP) analysis. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 12:4082-4093.
- Benslimane, H., Lamari, L., Benbelkacem, A., Sayoud, R. and Bouznad, Z. 2011. Distribution of races of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis in Algeria and identification of a new virulence type. Phytopathol. Mediterr. 50:203-211.
- Ciuffetti, L. M., Tuori, R. P. and Gaventa, J. M. 1997. A single gene encodes a selective toxin causal to the development of tan spot of wheat. Plant Cell 9:135-144. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.9.2.135
- De Wolf, E. D., Effertz, R. J., Ali, S. and Francl, L. J. 1998. Vistas of tan spot research. Can. Plant Pathol. 20:349-370. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060669809500404
- Friesen, T. L., Stukenbrock, E. H., Liu, Z., Meinhardt, S., Ling, H., Faris, J. D., Rasmussen, J. B., Solomon, P. S., McDonald, B. A. and Olivier, R. P. 2006. Emergence of a new disease as a result of interspecific virulence gene transfer. Nat. Genet. 38:953-956. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng1839
- Faris, J. D., Abeysekara, N. S., McClean, P. E., Xu, S. S. and Friesen, T. L. 2012. Tan spot susceptibility governed by the Tsn1 locus and ace nonspecific resistance quantitative trait loci in a population derived from the wheat lines Salamouni and Katepwa. Mol. Breeding. 30:1669-1678. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11032-012-9750-7
- Gamba, F. M., Lamari, L. and Brule-Babel, A. L. 1998. lnheritance of race-specific necrotic and chlorotic reactions induced by Pyrenophora tritici-repentis in hexaploid wheats. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 20:401-407. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060669809500411
- Lamari, L. and Bernier, C. C. 1989. Virulence of isolates of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis on wheat cultivars and cytology of the differential host reactions. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 11:284-290. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060668909501114
- Lamari, L. and Strelkov, S. E. 2010. The wheat/Pyrenophora tritici-repentis interaction: progress towards an understanding of tan spot disease. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 32:4-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060661003594117
- Lamari, L., Strelkov, S. E., Yahyaoui, A., Orabi, J. and Smith, R. B. 2003. The identification of two new races of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis from the host centre of diversity confirms a one-to-one relationship in tan spot of wheat. Phytopathology 93:391-396. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO.2003.93.4.391
- Lichter, A., Gaventa, J. M. and Ciuffetti, L. M. 2002. Chromosome based molecular characterization of pathogenic and non-pathogenic wheat isolates of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Fungal Genet. Biol. 37:180-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1087-1845(02)00500-5
- Martinez, J. P., Ottum, S. A., Ali, S., Francl, L. J. and Ciuffetti, L. M. 2001. Characterization of the ToxB gene from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Mol. Plant-Microbe Interact. 14:675-677. https://doi.org/10.1094/MPMI.2001.14.5.675
- Martinez, J. P., Oesch, N. W. and Ciuffetti, L. M. 2004. Characterization of the multiplecopy host-selective toxin gene, ToxB, in pathogenic and non-pathogenic isolates of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Mol. Plant-Microbe Interact. 17:467-474. https://doi.org/10.1094/MPMI.2004.17.5.467
- Nestler, E. J. and Hyman, S. E. 2002. Regulation of gene expression. In: Neuropsychopharmacology: the Fifth Generation of Progress, eds. by K. L. Davis, D. Charney, J. T. Coyle and C. Nemeroff, pp. 217-228. American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, USA.
- Strelkov, S. E. 2002. Occurrence and expression of ToxB and comparative virulence of chlorosis inducing races of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Ph.D. thesis, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada.
- Strelkov, S. E. and Lamari, L. 2003. Host-parasite interactions in tan spot [Pyrenophora tritici- repentis] of wheat. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 25:339-349. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060660309507089
- Strelkov, S. E., Lamari, L. and Balance, G. M. 1999. Characterization of a host-specific protein toxin (Ptr ToxB) from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Mol. Plant-Microbe Interact. 12:728-732. https://doi.org/10.1094/MPMI.19220.127.116.118
- Strelkov, S. E., Lamari, L., Sayoud, R. and Smith, R. 2002. Comparative virulence of chlorosis-inducing races of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. J. Plant Pathol. 24:29-35.
- Strelkov, S. E., Kowatsch, R. F., Ballance, G. M. and Lamari, L. 2006. Characterization of the ToxB gene from North Africa and Canadian isolates of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Physiol. Mol. Plant Pathol. 67:164-170.
- Thompson, J.D., Higgins, D.G., Gibson, T.J. 1994. HYPERLINK "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7984417" CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22:4673-4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673