- Volume 43 Issue 4
Two conceptual flowsheets were developed for recycling used nuclear fuel. One flowsheet was developed for recycling used oxide nuclear fuel from light water reactors while the other was developed for recycling used metal fuel from fast spectrum reactors. Both flowsheets were developed from a set of design principles including efficient actinide recovery, nonproliferation, waste minimization and commercial viability. Process chemistry is discussed for each unit operation in the flowsheet.
Pyrochemical Processing;Nuclear Fuel Reprocessing;Electrochemical Processing
- C.E. Stevenson, "The EBR II Fuel Cycle Story," American Nuclear Society, LaGrange Park, IL USA (1987).
- R.K. Steunenberg, R.D. Pierce and L. Burris, "Pyrometallurgical and Pyrochemical Fuel Processing," Progress in Nuclear Energy Series III, Process Chemistry, 461 (1969).
- C.E. Till, Y.I. Chang and W.H. Hannum, "The Integral Fast Reactor - An Overview," Progress in Nuclear Energy, 31, 1-2, 3 (1997) https://doi.org/10.1016/0149-1970(96)00001-7
- National Research Council, "Electrometallurgical Techniques for DOE Spent Fuel Treatment: Final Report," National Academy Press, Washington, DC (2000).
- K. Gourishankar, L. Redey and M.A. Williamson, "Electrochemical Reduction of Metal Oxides in Molten Salts," Light Metals 2002, TMS, 1075 (2002).
- L.A. Barnes and M.A. Williamson, "Developments in Electrolytic Reduction: Effect of Rare Earth Oxides," 2008 International Pyroprocessing Research Conference, Jeju Island, Republic of Korea, August 2008.
- A.F. LaPlace, J. Lacquement, J.L. Willit, R.A. Finch, G.A. Fletcher and M.A. Williamson, "Electrodeposition of Uranium and Transuranics (Pu) on Solid Cathodes," Nuclear Technology, Vol. 163, 366 (2008). https://doi.org/10.13182/NT08-A3995
- Estimating Alarm Thresholds for Process Monitoring Data under Different Assumptions about the Data Generating Mechanism vol.2013, pp.1687-6083, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/705878
- Study on an Optimal Condition of Closed Chamber Distillation Equipment for Regeneration of LiCl-KCl Eutectic Salt Containing Rare Earth Phosphates vol.188, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13182/NT13-146
- to U in LiCl-KCl Molten Salt Eutectic Using the Fluidized Cathode Process vol.164, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0421708jes
- Reference Electrode vol.164, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0441708jes
- Electrochemical Nucleation and Growth of Uranium and Plutonium from Molten Salts vol.164, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0471708jes
- Method Development for Quantitative Analysis of Actinides in Molten Salts vol.162, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0401509jes
- Application of Voltammetry for Quantitative Analysis of Actinides in Molten Salts vol.162, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0281512jes
- Development, characterization and dissolution behavior of calcium-aluminoborate glass wasteforms to immobilize rare-earth oxides vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-23665-z
- Thermodynamic Properties of Strontium-Lead Alloys Determined by Electromotive Force Measurements vol.165, pp.14, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1149/2.1091814jes
- Review—Modeling Electrochemical Processing for Applications in Pyroprocessing vol.165, pp.13, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1149/2.1021813jes
- Basis for a Minimalistic Salt Treatment Approach for Pyroprocessing Commercial Nuclear Fuel vol.16, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7733/jnfcwt.2018.16.1.1
- System vol.203, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00295450.2018.1448673
- Electrochemical deposition of praseodymium (III) and copper (II) and extraction of praseodymium on copper electrode in LiCl-KCl melts pp.1433-0768, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10008-018-4080-2