- Volume 22 Issue 3
R. L. Moore's discovery methods are known to have been very effective with certain classes of students. However when the method was attempted by others at the undergraduate level, the results sometimes were disappointing. In this article we study the history of developing modified Moore methods with small group discovery method for the purpose of undergraduate education, and then we discuss some educational point of view in our universities.
- 이상구, 황석근, 천기상, 20세기 초 미국수학계의 혁명적변화의 바탕," 한국수학사학회지. 20권 3호(2007), 127-146.
- 이상구, 이상욱, 김덕선, Robert Lee Moore의 교수법과 한국에서의 의미", 한국수학사학회지. 21권 1호(2008), 79-96.
- Brewer, J. P.,. Moore is better. Primus 13, 3(2003), 270-276. https://doi.org/10.1080/10511970308984062
- Bruner, J. S., The process of education, New York, Vintage Books, 1960.
- Burning, R., Schraw, G., Norby, M., Ronning, R., Cognitive psychology and instruction (4th ed.). Columbus, OH, Merrill, 2004.
- Cohen, D. W., A modified Moore method for teaching undergraduate mathematics, Amer. Math. Monthly 89, 7(1982), 473-490. https://doi.org/10.2307/2321385
- Dancis, J., Davidson, N.,. The texas method and the small group discovery Method, 1970. (www.discovery.utexas.edu/rlm/reference/dancis_davidson.html)
- Davidson, N.,. The Small Group-Discovery Method as Applied in Calculus Instruction, Amer. Math Monthly 78(1971), 789-791. https://doi.org/10.2307/2318022
- Driscoll, M. P., Psychology of learning for instruction (2nd ed.). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon, 2000.
- Good, C., Teaching by the Moore Method, MSOR Connections, 6, 2(2006), 34-38. (www.discovery.utexas.edu/rlm)
- Henderson, D. W., Ask Why? Insist on Seeing, Experience Deeply, Learn from Others, the 3rd. Annual Legacy of R.L. Moore Conference, April, U. of Texas Austin, 2000. (www.discovery.utexas.edu/rlm/Reports/legacyrlm3_abstract .pdf)
- Lewis, A. C., Reform and Tradition in Mathematics Education: The Example of R. L. Moore, 1998. (http://neomon.us/discovery.html)
- Mahavier, W. S., What Is The Moore Method? Primus 9, 4(1999), 339-354. https://doi.org/10.1080/10511979908965940
- Mahavier, W. S., What Should One Do With AP Calculus Students? the 3rd Annual Legacy of R. L. Moore Conference, April, U. of Texas Austin, 2000.
- Mayer, R., Should there be a three-strikes rule against discovery learning? A case for guided methods of instruction. Amer. Psychologist, 59(2004), 14-19. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.59.1.14
- Moise, E. E., Activity and Motivation in Mathematics, Amer. Math. Monthly 72(1966), 407-412. https://doi.org/10.2307/2313507
- Parker, J., R. L. Moore: Mathematician and Teacher, MAA. Washington, 2005.
- Polya, G., Mathematical Discovery, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1962.
- Traylor, R., Adapting the Moore Method to a Virtual University Course, the 3rd Annual Legacy of R. L. Moore Conference, April, U. of Texas Austin, 2000.
- Whyburn, L. S.. Student Oriented Teaching- The Moore Method, Amer. Math. Monthly 77(1970), 351-359. https://doi.org/10.2307/2316141