- Volume 22 Issue 3
Zoltan, P. Dienes is a famous researcher and practitioner who has tried to teach mathematical structures to children for about 50 years. Even though his ideas of teaching mathematics and materials including MAB have been well known in Korea, they are only a part of his achievement he has developed for his whole life. So this article is designed for taking an overview of his whole life and achievement and getting some implications for today's mathematics education. In this article, his life story could be divided by five periods in terms of a scholastic career and his research achievement could be reorganized with respect to five theses: psychology of learning mathematics, mathematical curriculum, teacher education, games and material for mathematical learning. As a result, it is found that there is a deep connection between his personal life and his scholastic career.
- 김수미, Zoltan Dienes의 수학학습 6단계 이론의 재음미, 대한수학교육학회지 <학교수학> 10권 3호 (2008) 339-355.
- Dienes, Z. P., Concept formation and personality. Leicester, 1959.
- Dienes, Z. P., Building up Mathematics. London: Hutchinson Educational, 1960.
- Dienes, Z. P., An Experimental Study of Mathematics-Learning. London: Hutchinson Educational, 1963.
- Dienes, Z. P., Mathematics in the Primary School. Toronto: Macmillan and Co., 1964.
- Dienes, Z. P., Mathematics through the senses, games, dance and art. Windsor, England: NFER Pub Co. [distributed in USA by Fernhil House, NewYork: Humanities Press], 1973.
- Dienes, Z. P. Learning Logic and Logical Games, 1974.
- Dienes, Z. P., Lessons involving music, language and mathematics. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 6 (1987) 171-181.
- Dienes, Z. P., Some thoughts on the dynamics of learning mathematics(unpublished), 1995, In Montana Council of Teachers of Mathematics(2007), The Montana Mathematics Enthusiast, Monograph 2(2007 Sep).
- Dienes, Z. P., Memoirs of a Maverick Mathematician. Atlanda, London, Sydney: Minerva Press, 1999.
- Dienes, Z. P., The theory of the six stages of learning with integers, Mathematics in Schools, Vol 29, No 2, March (2000) 27-32.
- Dienes, Z. P., Six stages with Rational numbers, Mathematics in Schools, Vol 30, No 1, Jan (2001) 41-45.
- Hirstein, J., The impact of Zoltan Dienes on Mathematics Teaching in the United States, The Montana Mathematics Enthusiast, ISSN 1551-3440, Monograph2, (2007) 169-172, Montana Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Sriraman B., Editorial : The Legacy of Zoltan Paul Dienes, The Montana Mathematics Enthusiast, ISSN 1551-3440, Monograph 2, .i-ii. 2007.
- Sriraman, B., & Lesh, R., Leaders in mathematical thinking and learning:A Conversation with Zoltan P. Dienes. Mathematical thinking and learning 9(1), (2007) 59-75. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327833mtl0901_5
- Storer, W. O., The Mathematical Gazette, Vol.50, No. 372. (May, 1966), 194-197. https://doi.org/10.2307/3611985