- Volume 22 Issue 3
It can be said that the teaching and learning of mathematical problem solving has been greatly influenced by G. Polya. His heuristics shows down the explicit process of mathematical problem solving in detail. In contrast, Polanyi highlights the implicit dimension of the process. Polanyi's theory can play complementary role with Polya's theory. This study outlined the epistemology of Polanyi and his theory of problem solving. Regarding the knowledge and knowing as a work of the whole mind, Polanyi emphasizes devotion and absorption to the problem at work together with the intelligence and feeling. And the role of teachers are essential in a sense that students can learn implicit knowledge from them. However, our high school students do not seem to take enough time and effort to the problem solving. Nor do they request school teachers' help. According to Polanyi, this attitude can cause a serious problem in teaching and learning of mathematical problem solving.
- 남진영, 수학적 지식의 구성에 관한 연구. 서울대학교 대학원 박사학위논문, 2007.
- 박교식, 제7차 초등학교 수학과 교육과정에서의 문제해결 관련 내용의 분석, 대한 수학교육학회지 학교수학 3(1), 1-23, 2001.
- 엄태동, 교육적 인식론 연구: 키에르케고르와 폴라니의 교화적 방법에 대한 교육학적 고찰. 서울대학교대학원 박사학위논문, 1998.
- 장상호,. Polanyi, 인격적 지식의 확장. 교육과학사, 1994.
- 정은실, Polya의 數學的發見術硏究. 서울대학교 대학원 박사학위논문, 1995.
- Gelwick, R., Notes toward understanding the Hungarian roots of Polanyi's Heuristic philosophy of religion, Tradition & Discovery, 32(3), 24-34, 2005.
- Hadamard, J., The Mathematician's Mind: The Psychology of Invention in the Mathematical Field. Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1945.
- NCTM, The Agenda in Action, Yearbook (Schufelt G. (Ed.)), The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1983.
- Polanyi, M., Problem Solving. The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 8(30), 89-103, 1957.
- Polanyi, M.,. Personal Knowledge: towards a post-critical philosophy. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press, 1962.
- Polanyi, M., The Tacit Dimension. New York: Anchor Books, 1966.
- Polanyi, M., Knowing and Being: essays by Michael Polanyi . London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1969.
- Polanyi M. and Prosch H., Meaning. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1975.
- Polya, G., How to Solve it: a New Aspect of Mathematical Method. Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1945.
- Polya, G., On Learning, Teaching, and Learning Teaching. The American Mathematical Monthly, 70(6) 605-619, 1963. https://doi.org/10.2307/2311629
- Schoenfeld, A. H., Polya, Problem Solving, and Education, Mathematics Magazine, 60(5), 283-291, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/2690409